Falcons set to run in state’s capital tomorrow

The Bowling Green women’s track and field team is back in action this weekend as they begin competition in the All-Ohio Championships in Columbus, Ohio. After placing fifth in last weeks Miami Invite, the Falcons will once again battle several Mid-American Conference schools as they pursue a victory.

“I expect our kids to compete as hard as they can,” head coach Scott Sehmann said. “We’re just really trying to focus on getting better individually and as a team.”

With several other MAC schools competing in the meet, Sehmann expects to face a tough field.

“It will be very competitive, probably the most competitive meet we’ve competed in this season,” he said.

MAC contender Akron will be one of the MAC schools at the meet. The Zips last competed in the Texas Relays in Austin. Standout distance runner Beata Rudzinska was a strong performer for the Zips, taking fourth in the 1500 meter run.

While the Zips may challenge the distance runners, Miami will once again be a team to beat. The Redhawks had a strong performance all around last weekend, placing second on their home track in last weekend’s invite.

Another returning MAC squad from last weekend’s invite will be Ohio University, who placed seventh with three first place finishes.

Falcons’ rival Toledo will be another MAC school competing in today’s meet. The Rockets are coming off of a third place finish behind Central and Western Michigan in last weekend’s Central Michigan triangular meet. The Rocket’s strongest performance was a second place finish by Judy Kocsis in the 3,000 meters.

The Falcons, who will be back to full strength this weekend after missing some team members for disciplinary reasons, hope to continue to have strong performances throughout the weekend.

“We had good chemistry working [last] Saturday. We’re shooting to get as high a ranking as possible,” Sehmann said.

The events are set to begin today at 3 p.m. at Ohio State’s Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium and continue on through tomorrow.