Nolan Reimold: a player with baseball’s five tools

It may be the end of an era for Falcon basketball star John Reimold, but his younger brother Nolan is just getting warmed up for the baseball team.

After an impressive sophomore season, where he hit .404 with 13 home runs and 57 RBI’s, Reimold broke into his junior year with an eruption at the plate. Just over a month into the season he was named the “Louisville Slugger’s” National Hitter of the Week. He crushed four home runs and drove in 13 RBI’s in four games during that stretch.

“It was pretty special being the best hitter in the nation for a week,” Reimold said. “It’s an honor to get that kind of recognition.”

But that didn’t even include Reimold’s best offensive performance of the season that took place a few days earlier when he hit a career-high three homeruns against the Findlay Oilers in the home opener on March 16.

Schmitz said Reimold is a gifted athlete and his tremendous bat speed allows him to hit a lot of home runs.

“When he gets in the zone correctly he’s got as good a bat speed as anyone I’ve ever seen,” Schmitz said. “He’s strong and boy, the ball can really jump off his bat.”

Reimold had another big game on April 5 when he belted two home runs for six RBI’s, all in the fifth inning of the Falcons 14-4 victory over Heidelberg. However, Reimold hasn’t homered or drove in a run since.

“Everybody goes through a slump every now and then,” Reimold said. “I gotta just keep doing the same things I’ve been doing my whole career and I’ll break out of it eventually.”

Despite his recent slump at the plate, Reimold still leads the Mid-American Conference in home runs (12), RBI’s (39), runs scored (35), walks (28), triples (3), total bases (84), slugging percentage (.743), and on base percentage (.479).

He is also one of just two regular starters on the Falcons to have no errors this season.

“He’s a five-tool player,” Schmitz said. “He can hit for power, he has a plus arm in the outfield, is a very solid defensive player and can run like a deer too.”

It’s no coincidence that when Reimold is hot, so is the rest of the team. The Falcons started the season with an 11-2 record, their best start since 1996. In the 11 victories during that stretch, Reimold blossomed into an offensive threat hitting .404 with five home runs and 18 RBI’s.

Schmitz said Reimold’s ability to make his team better is a trait that runs in the family.

“[Reimold] is one of those guys that makes everyone else play well,” Schmitz said. “His brother John was the same way on the basketball court along with Josh Almanson. Those guys were difference makers and that’s what I see Nolan as.”

The plethora of skills that Reimold possesses has attracted interest from scouts across the country.

“This is my 15th year here and we’ve had some pretty darn good players that have come through the program,” Schmitz said. “By far he’s the one that has drawn the most interest [from scouts] since I’ve been at Bowling Green.”

With so many scouts watching Reimold’s every move it can sometimes be tough for him to stay focused. Reimold said he tries to not let the pressure get to him.

“I just gotta work hard to try and impress [scouts] and show them I can play,” Reimold said. “You always feel a little pressure. Sometimes you try too hard. The key is to stay relaxed and be patient and let the game come to you.”

Reimold said it’s important to play well in front of the scouts since it will eventually help him reach the next level of playing major league baseball.

“Once I’m done with baseball here I’d like to play professionally,” he said. “That’s always been a big goal of mine.”

But right now Reimold has other goals to accomplish before he starts thinking about the possibility of getting drafted.

“I’m looking forward to getting into the MAC tournament,” Reimold said. “That’s our main goal of the season every year and I haven’t been in a MAC tournament since I’ve been here so I really want to do that.”