BG sets record straight at Drake

Danielle Tanner

Sports Reporter

The Bowling Green women’s track team opened up last weekend’s Drake Relays with a new school record in the 4 x 1600 meter relay. The team, consisting of Bridget Dalic, Melissa Krueger, Nicole Suitor and Jamie Roflow, posted a 20:32.01, which was enough to beat the previous record of 20:47.42, set in 1991.

While the new school record was the highlight of the meet for the Falcons, several other BG athletes had strong performances as well.

Andi Bunko finished in eleventh place in the javelin. Her career best throw of 43.47 meters qualified her for the NCAA Regional meet.

Head coach Scott Sehmann also praised the efforts of Amber Walker, who ran 10.55 second splits in each of her relays.

Thrower Kerri McClung continued her consistent dominance in the shot put, once again throwing for over 50 feet. Her seventh place finish was the highest for the Falcons.

“The national caliber competition from all over the country will be outstanding competition. It’s one of the premier meets in the country and has sold out for almost 40 years. It will be a good experience for those who make the trip,” head coach Scott Sehmann said prior to last weekend’s meet.

Some prominent track powers present at the Drake Relays included Michigan, Alabama, Air Force Academy and Illinois State.

With the Mid-American Conference meet just two weeks away, the Falcons are in the process of fine tuning before the MAC meet. Racing against high level competition is just one step in preparing for the MAC meet.

“It was very helpful to represent [our] conference as well as the school. It’s really important, it helps [the team] be confident that they can run with people from all over,” Sehmann said.

Several members of the squad will be in action this weekend at the Al Campbell Open in Akron. This meet will serve as a final tune up before the MAC Championships.