Summer renovations for Offenhauer

Renovations on the two tallest buildings on campus, the Offenhauer towers, are projected to be completed by the first of August. The towers are in phase three of a three phase renovation that began in summer of 2003.

Phase three includes toilet and shower room updates, replacing old windows and exterior cosmetic work such as landscaping. The project’s goal completion date is August 1.

“Everything is on schedule we plan on meeting that date,” Tim Carney, Assistant Director of Operations in the Office of Residence Life, said.

He said that the $3 million project is running smoothly in its final stage. He said that they have experience with working on the buildings since this is the third summer that they have been working on them. Phase one and two were completed over the summer of 2003 and summer 2004.

The first two phases included the addition of a new fire alarm system, sprinkler system and voice and data communications for the building. Carney said that even though the Office of Residence Life wasn’t required by law to add a sprinkler system they decided to for student’s safety. He said that based on the height of the buildings, they need sprinklers.

“The driving force [to update the Offenhauer Towers] was the safety factor with the sprinklers,” he said.

The buildings will also be equipped with wireless Internet for faster connections. Also, the heating, ventilation and air conditioning system will be updated.

“The updates are necessary because most of the current systems have been in operation since the building was opened 35 years ago,” said Tim Burns, Senior Project Manager. “Other improvements are being made for [compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act] and life safety reasons.”

The towers were last updated in 1999 when they received internal improvements after the Board of Trustees approved the $2.2 million renovation. Improvements included adding new carpet, remodeling of lamps and painting corridors, stairways and residence rooms. Those were the first renovations since it was built.

The Board of Trustees approved construction plans of Offenhauer in 1968. They wanted it to be different from the other residence halls and decided to build a “high-rise” dorm. It was completed in 1971 at a final cost of $9.4 million.

The ten and eleven story buildings may now house around 839 students in single and double occupancy rooms.

When Offenhauer was built it was called the first “plush dorm on campus” and the Office of Residence Life is trying to keep up with that title with the current updates.

“We will be able to provide a safer environment, and better serve their data and telecommunication needs,” said Carney.