New home for the mentally disabled

The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development has recognized the need for housing Wood County residents that suffer from chronic mental disabilities and has provided funding for the new Village Court North.

The new apartments are located at 211 Parkview Drive and are described by Christen Giblin, secretary of the Wood County Village Inc., as “really cute, one bedroom apartments.”

Giblin continued her description of Wood County Village as handicapped accessible, par with HUD standards and equipped with a manager who helps tenants to pay rent and assists with maintenance.

President of Wood County Village Inc., Mary Jane Miller, organized and led the project that she started in 1996.

Miller said that main difference between Wood Country Village and other apartments in Bowling Green is the low cost.

“HUD provides financial assistance to several homeless people, and to those who have a low income or to those who are at risk of losing their apartments,” Miller said.

Behavioral Connections was also involved in the project. If a doctor at Behavioral Connections believed that a patient was able to begin living on their own, they recommended the patient to Wood County Village Inc. as a possible tenant.

After Wood County Village Inc. received a recommendation, they determined if the possible tenant fit HUD requirements.

One HUD requirement is that a tenant may not have children living with them in the apartment. Only the spouse of the tenant who suffers from a mental disability may share the one bedroom apartment.

“These are really nice apartments and they operate very well,” Miller said. “Tenants who live in them appreciate their apartment very much.”

Giblin said in this area there is a particular need for housing for mentally disabled people. That became apparent when the apartments filled before the construction had even finished.

Wood County Village is not the first apartment complex for mentally disabled tenants in Bowling Green. It is actually the sister complex to Village Court, 804 Thurstin, which opened in 1998.

Giblin said that the apartments on Thurstin were so successful that Miller soon began planning a new complex.

On Friday an open house will feature remarks by Village Court and Village Court North (804 Thurstin) residents, a ribbon-cutting ceremony, recognitions of the volunteers involved in the project, refreshments and a tour of the apartments.