Franklin Park opens new wing

The Westfield Franklin Park mall draws more visitors than Cedar Point and twice as many customers as all four Detroit sports teams attract per year. And with the newly built expansion, it is projected that attendance will jump from 8 million customers per year to 12 million.

Patrons had a chance to see the expansion for the fist time at the grand opening on Friday, May 6. Westfield Franklin Park’s marketing director Kurt Pollex estimated that around 4,000 people attended the event. Even though it didn’t begin until 9 a.m., people began arriving at 6 a.m.

He said the unveiling was outstanding and was similar to the beginning of an NBA game. The celebration featured confetti- launching cannons, a light show and a curtain drop that revealed the new wing. Mayor Jack Ford spoke as well as the president of Westfield. Twenty-seven retailers opened their door for the first time that day. Retailers such as Charlotte Russe, Dick’s Sporting Goods, Borders Books ‘ Music, Coach and Pottery Barn are just a few of the new additions to the shopping center. Westfield also added a family lounge, fireplace, wireless Internet and a 700-seat food court. Changes outside of the mall were also made, with the construction of two multi-level parking garages.

“The addition is gorgeous,” said Pollex. “I grew up two miles down the road and have lived in a bunch of different cities and this mall compares with any mall that I’ve seen in the Phoenix, Atlanta, Washington D.C. area.”

Toledo resident and Bowling Green alumnus Bill Carlisle said that he was impressed by the new edition and was surprised at how many more people the mall seemed to be drawing.

“I noticed the beauty of the architecture, the nice lighting and I love the floors,” he said.

Franklin Park mall first opened in 1971 and was purchased over two years ago by Westfield. They bought the mall with the intention of redeveloping it and began construction in March 2004. Pollex said that Westfield decided to expand the mall because they believe in the Toledo community and saw a demand from retailers.

“We were under-servicing the community, we needed to grow,” he said.

The shopping center increased in size by 40 percent and is now 1.22 million square feet. Pollex said that they are almost fully leased in the new wing and by November they plan to be full for the holiday shopping season.

During summer 2005 several restaurants including BRAVO! Cucina Italiana, Champs Restaurant and Bar, and Claddagh Irish Pub are projected to open.

Westfield plans to continue to develop with the trends, bringing new retailers to Toledo.