Tips to prevent from going ‘spring broke’

With over a million students on spring break, it is no wonder that many people are trying to make a lot of money off them.

There is nothing wrong with that — it is how our economy works. But why does it seem that every time students are involved, there is a shift from an honest trade to a barely legal exploitation?

Travel agencies represent this shift.

Spring break was designed to be just that; a breather from rigorous academic work before coming back to exams. When students see a flyer for a vacation package, they sometimes get a “too-good-to-be-true” feeling. This is often accompanied by an “I-knew-it” feeling shortly following their break.

In surveys conducted by the state Public Interest Research Groups, almost all agencies that advertised with a certain price contained hidden fees. These are not minor fees either.

The average final price of spring break vacations totaled to be over 60 percent of the advertised price. Such fees include city surcharges, late fees, peak week charges, fuel surcharges, international fees and insurance costs. Some agencies even charged the student double of what they advertise.

It’s disappointing that the leaders in these companies probably went to college themselves, yet feel comfortable charging students in this fashion.

Apart from hidden costs, students often run into itinerary changes. Travel agencies often use charter flights.

Students often find themselves hurrying to Columbus when there flight was originally scheduled to depart from Toledo. Charter flights are also subject to time changes.

Students may not get to leave for spring break until two days after they had planned. Often times they are stuck in another country while their classes resume back home.

The current practices of these agencies demand that the student be aware of his or her rights. So what can you do? Know the limits of this industry. This may be as simple as reading the fine print.

* You have the right to investigate an agency before sending them any money.

* You also have the right to know exactly what every thing means on the bill, and exactly what you are paying for.

* Know the cancellation policies of the company you’re using, and any late fees involved. If a flight is to be delayed for more than 48 hours, then you have the right to cancel.

The University Law Society would like remind you that there is no substitute for being prepared. Take the proper precautions and avoid going “spring broke.”