Smothers Brothers play Findlay

The Central Auditorium in downtown Findlay is mixing it up. In the past they have had some musical shows and some comedy shows. Tonight, they will have both as the legendary Smothers Brothers will be performing on the Findlay stage.

The Smothers Brothers have been performing for audiences all over the country for over 45 years. Some have referred to them as time honored legends, comic geniuses, and American icons.

They have performed live shows all over the country. The duo’s first professional appearance was at The Purple Onion in San Francisco in 1959 and their first national television appearance was on the Jack Paar show on January 28th, 1961.

According to the group’s Web site www.smothersbrothers.com, “The contributions Tom and Dick have made to the entertainment world throughout their careers are so highly respected that the Museum of Television and Radio in New York produced a retrospective and seminar on their work, an honor not lightly accorded. On the other coast, Hollywood ceremoniously distinguished them with one of its most valuable awards: a star on the noted Hollywood Walk of Fame.”

“We are very glad to have them (Smothers Brothers). They have been doing this kind of work for decades and they are considered legends in their field,” said Kate Macek, the communications director for the Arts Partnership, “We’ve had them here before and the shows were always a big hit. We’ve had many requests to bring them back.”

The duo has received multiple others awards. The groups website states that the new millennium has brought many new opportunities and rewards “including a reunion of The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour at the USA Comedy Arts Festival in Aspen, induction into the illustrious Hollywood Bowl Hall of Fame, an invitation to become Artist Members of the Board of Directors of the Wolf Trap Foundation, 2003 Freedom of Expression Award presented at the annual Video Software Dealers’ Association in Las Vegas (2002 recipient was George Carlin) and Honorary Doctorate Degrees from their alma mater, San Jose State University.”

Macek also said “We usually provide more music shows than comedy and it’s unique we can do a show that provides both.”

The Arts Partnership has been open for 25 years as a non-profit organization. The organization books shows for the Findlay and Hancock county area. It presents a wide range of shows and activities with and for the diverse arts-interests groups. The Arts Partnership is funded in part by the Findlay Area Arts Foundation, and the Findlay-Hancock County Community Foundation as well as private donors and small businesses.

“I’ve been working here for one year now and I enjoy it. I thought it would be a good place to work because I have an interest in the arts and a background in journalism” says Macek.

The show is tonight at the Central Auditorium at 8 p.m. The theater holds 1,400 people and tickets are still available. Tickets for the show are $22 for adults and $18 for seniors, students, and children. Tickets at the door will be $24. For more information you can visit the Arts Partnership website at www.artspartnership.com or call them at 419-422-4624.