Falcons make up for last game

Getting hot from beyond the arc was just what the women’s basketball team wanted.

After ending a 193-game streak of hitting at least one three- pointer in a game during their 61-52 win over Akron on Saturday, the Falcons rebounded to hit a season-high 58.8 percent on 10 of 17 shooting from deep in a 72-58 victory against Central Michigan last night.

“We talked about, after the last game, how we broke our streak,” said Casey McDowell, who connected on a season-high four three pointers. “And that was really a point of emphasis, to get back and get in the gym and shoot the ball a lot. We knew if we could that get going, then everything else kind of falls once we start getting the three balls going.”

Since the streak had come to a close and was unlike any streak before, the previous school record was 29-straight on two occasions, BG coach Curt Miller knew his team was set to redeem themselves.

“I think the kids were hell bent to make some three’s in the beginning of the game to get that monkey off their back,” Miller said. “Our team is very prideful and there’s a pride factor that we’re coming off the game where we were shutout from the arc.”

With the Falcons leading 35-30 to start the second half, McDowell caught fire. She hit three treys to push the lead to 14 at 50-36, and the Chippewas never pulled within single digits the rest of the way.

“Casey hit big shots (which was) very, very important for the momentum and the confidence of our team,” Miller said.

The Falcons wasted no time getting their stroke back as Liz Honegger stepped out behind the line and hit a three on the first shot of the game. Carin Horne followed Honegger with a three of her own and two baskets later, Ali Mann hit from deep to give BG an 11-5 lead early.

Those three, along with McDowell, took the team’s sharp-shooting abilities on their shoulders. McDowell finished four of six beyond the arc, Honegger went three for six, Horne hit two of five and Mann connected on her only attempt. No other Falcon even attempted a three.

Miller credited his team’s hot shooting to making the rest of the game come easier.

“When you start to make three’s against Central, your opportunities inside increase,” he said. “Then we can go back trying to win the war that we try to win every game and that’s points in the paint.”