Eating better could prevent cancer

A speaker, brought to campus by Veg4Life, spoke about the advantages of a healthy diet in his presentation last night in Olscamp 101.

The presentation entitled “How to Prevent Cancer Before it Starts,” Michael Greger said that one million people are diagnosed with Cancer everyday and one thousand people die from it everyday. Because those numbers are so high, it is time for people to start eating better, he said.

Greger said that Cancer forms in four steps and can be blocked in by incorporating certain “superfoods” into a daily diet. The first superfood he covered was green vegetables. He said that green vegetables increase the body’s ability to detoxify.

“Broccoli helps your body to take out the trash,” Greger said.

He identified the second superfood as oats. Oats are important to eat because they contain so much fiber which attaches to carcinogens and flushes them out of the body.

He said that superfood number three was berries. The FDA recently increased the recommended servings of fruits and vegetables from five to nine. Greger said the best fruit to eat is blueberries because it has the most anti-oxidants. Also, the healthiest fruits and vegetables are the ones with the brightest colors.

“Anti-oxidants found in blueberries literally come from the blue,” Greger said. “We should be eating fruits and vegetables as if out lives depended on it, because it does.”

Veg4Life president, Julian Huerta, said it is good to bring people like Greger to campus because it helps educate people about the vegan lifestyle and healthy eating.

“The presentation was awesome. It felt like I learned a lot,” Huerta said. “People who came will definitely walk away with useful information.”

For more information about healthy eating visit his website at www.drgreger.org, and for more information on Veg4Life visit www.bgsu.edu/studentlife/ organizations/veg4life.