Local band enters mtvU sponsored competition

Most students have never heard of the band Dryden, but the local group is working hard to change that.

The band recently entered a contest sponsored by mtvU, MTV’s college campus-oriented television station, for the chance to win a record deal with Universal Records and a music video to be aired on mtvU. Dryden, made up of brothers Justin, 20, and Aaron Russell, 22, is the only local band to have entered the contest, according to mtvU representatives.

“It’s a long shot, but we’ll see,” Justin said of the contest.

Semifinalists for the contest will be announced in April.

In the meantime, however, Dryden is working to become better known in Bowling Green and in their hometown of Springfield, Ohio, where they have been performing at local venues.

Justin, a sophomore at the University, asked Aaron, a senior at Wright State University, to start playing with him after Aaron helped Justin record his first CD, North South, last year. After some convincing, Aaron agreed.

“It took a long time and a lot of cursing to get him to play with me, ” Justin said.

Since then, they have set up a Web site, played at several small venues and have begun to record their first CD together.

The brothers’ music features Aaron on the guitar, keyboard and bass, with Justin also on the guitar, piano, vocals and bass. In addition, the band uses a drum machine, into which Aaron programs original rhythms. All of the lyrics are written by Justin, who finds inspiration in many places, including past relationships.

“I like substance [in lyrics],” Justin said. “Lyrically, I get stuff from everywhere.”

Because the band has just begun performing together, they’re expecting a few mistakes here and there, but, according to Aaron, they have a certain quality that will help them recover.

“We’ve got caustic wit,” Aaron said.

Music has played a large part in both of the brothers’ lives since they were very young. When they were 5 and 8 years old, Justin and Aaron had their own band, Thunder and Lightening. Since then, they’ve both been members of bands throughout their high school and college careers.

“We just generally love music,” Aaron said.

Because of this love, Dryden isn’t playing for the sole purpose of being rich and famous. In fact, that’s not what they want at all.

“We don’t want to be huge, but it’d be nice to have a minute following at the very least,” Aaron said.

For more information about the band or to hear some of their songs, visit http://www. purevolume.com/dryden springfieldoh/music online.