Battle of the I-75 tommorow

This could be the most important game of the year for the women’s basketball team.

For starters — and for seniors — it is the team’s last game at Anderson Arena this season.

Then factor in that a win will clinch at least a share of the Mid-American Conference West division.

And finally — and most importantly — arch-rival Toledo is coming to town.

For BG senior point guard Tene Lewis, the most exciting aspect of the game is easy to decifer.

“[The importance of the game] more on the rivalry level,” she said. “It’s important we go out and be competitive with them.”

The Falcons (18-7, 11-3) have more than competed in Lewis’ time at BG. The last time the Rockets (12-13, 8-6) beat the Falcons was Jan. 15, 2003 in a 70-62 win at Savage Hall and BG has taken each of the last four meetings. Making matters worse for the Rockets and the rivalry is that Toledo hasn’t won at Anderson Arena since a 79-65 win Jan. 13, 1999.

Even with the Falcons’ recent domination the games have been highly competitive.

The last meeting between the two just over a month ago took an overtime to settle as the Falcons walked away with a 69-66 win.

That was one of many close wins BG has used to build up a lead in the MAC West — a lead they hope to keep until the end of the season.

“We’ve had the lead for so long it would be a shame not to win the MAC West or at least a share,” BG head coach Curt Miller said.

If the Falcons hope to win the game, it will start with slowing down the inside-outside tandem of Danielle Bishop and Karin Hoogendam. This is something they failed to do in the first meeting as Bishop scored 17 points and Hoogendam dominated the inside scoring 23 points and pulling down 11 rebounds.

Even so, the Falcons were still able to pull out the win despite the play of Toledo’s go-to players and their vicious home crowd.

That home crowd is something the Falcons won’t have to deal with as this time around the Falcons will hope to draw an equally rowdy crowd. Miller is hoping the fans come out in droves in order to send seniors Sakima Smith, Kelly Kapferer and Lewis out in fashion.

“This is the first class that has gone four years with me,” he said. “Kellly, Tene and Sakima deserve a big crowd.”

For Lewis, just going out like she came in will be good enough.

“Coming in as a freshman we beat them,” she said. “So we want to beat them going out.”

Tip-off for the game is slated for 1 p.m. tomorrow.