BG frosh blocks way into records

The Bowling Green men’s basketball team needed someone to fill in for the absense of injured forward Germain Fitch — it looks like they found their man in freshman center Scott Vandermeer.

Vandermeer, in his first career start, tied the school- record with seven blocks during the Falcons’ 78-63 win over Ohio last night at Anderson Arena. Vandermeer said he was so excited about starting which resulted in a big performance.

“When I got those first couple blocks in the beginning of the game, it really just boosted my confidence up,” he said.

Vandermeer’s strong defensive performance allowed himself to get more confortable offensively as well. He tied his career high with six points and and grabbed six rebounds.

Vandermeer also held Ohio center Leon Williams scoreless. Williams came into the game averaging 11.4 points per game, but was shut down by Vandermeer’s styfiling defense. BG head coach Dan Dakich said it was only a matter of time before Vandermeer would get some increased minutes.

“In the last four or five games, Scott’s really played well when his opportunity has come,” Dakich said. “I just felt that he deserved a start and he did great.”

With the added playing time Vandermeer helped provide the spark needed to ignite the Falcons offense after they trailed the Bobcats 26-28 at the half. His explosive energy poured out of his 6-11frame whenever he came into the game.

He was called for a technical foul with 1:17 for hanging on the rim after his monster two handed slam dunk and although the Falcons had a commanding lead in the end, he never gave up on defense even on the final play of the game.

With two seconds left on the clock, Vandermeer swatted Ohio’s three point attempt and ran coast to coast for a dunk but time had run out.

“Anytime you got a guy that can block every shot that comes his way, it just takes alot of pressure off everybody,” BG forward Josh Almanson said. “He covers up mistakes. We didn’t get beat off the drive a whole lot and when we did, Scott was right there to clean things up.”

But with the hunt for the MAC-West title still on the horizon, Vandermeer could see even more playing time now that junior forward Germain Fitch is out for the rest of the season.

Fitch tore the ACL in his left knee during the post game celebration of the Falcons’ comeback win over arch-rival Toledo.

Almanson said if Vandermeer keeps it up the team will have alot more depth throughout the remainder of the season.

“It’s another player contributing,” Almanson said. “If we can have that out of Scott every night we’re gonna be tough to beat.”