BGSU Opera Theater presents works of Thomas Pasatieri

The BGSU opera theater will present pieces by American composer Thomas Pasatieri at 8 p.m. on Friday at 3 p.m. and Sunday February 27. Passatieri will attend the Friday performance.

The works, “La Divina” “The Women” and “Signor Deluso,” will be presented in Kobacker Hall of the Moore Musical Arts Center.

Born in 1945, Passatieri attended the Juilliard School of Music and was the first to earn a doctoral degree from the prestigious school. Passatieri later went on to teach composition at Juilliard, the Manhattan School of Music and at the Cincinnati College Conservatory of Music.

In addition to art songs he is also well know for film orchestrations. His credits include “Road to Perdition,” “American Beauty,” “The Little Mermaid,” “The Shawshank Redemption,” “Fried Green Tomatoes,” “Legends of the Fall,” and “Scent of a Woman.”

“The Women” premiered at the Aspen Music Festival in 1965 after winning the festival’s annual composition competition. The opera is known as a powerful surrealist study of a man, his wife and his mother. Set in the afterlife, it stresses the eternal nature of this triangle conflict.The cast for “The Women” features Renee Schwarz, Rhiana Williams, and Jonathan Tenbrink, All three are first-year graduate students.

“La Divina,” which premiered at Julliard in 1966, is set in the dressing room of an aging coloratura soprano on the evening of her farewell concert. Sarah Nicholas, a second-year graduate student appears as the diva. Stacey Barrett portrays her maid and Justin Randolph plays her manager. Both are first years graduate students. Marcilyn Lopez a second-year graduate student appears as the young conductor.

Premiering in 1974, “Signor Deluso” tells the tale of Celie, who is in love with Leon but has been forced by her father to marry the wealthy Valere. A comedy of errors results after Celie faints on the town square and is helped by Signor Deluso. Clara, Deluso’s wife, sees him holding Celie and concludes he is being unfaithful. Soon all the couples suspect their true loves are involved in affairs with others. Apearing in the title roles as Deluso will be first-year gradate student Joseph Banoch.

Dr. Geoffrey Stephenson, an instructor of opera, will conduct members of the Bowling Green Philharmonia. Keith Hofacker, technical director at the college, is the lighting and scenic designer for the production.

Tickets are $8 for adults and $5 for senior citizens and students. For ticket reservations call 419-372-8171 or 1-800-589-2224.