Edwards bashes Miami

BEREA, Ohio – Braylon Edwards ran his favorite pattern: Leaving the shower, Cleveland’s outspoken rookie wide receiver cut sharply across the carpet, spun in front of his locker and began talking.

About himself.

Two days after expressing his frustration at not making more plays for the Browns, and a day after a whirlwind media blitz concluded with him saying on a national TV sports talk show that he felt like he was being “red-shirted” in his first NFL season, Edwards was chatting away again yesterday.

He reiterated his comments from Monday. He vowed his respect for Browns coach Romeo Crennel. And, Edwards accused the Miami Dolphins – Cleveland’s opponent this Sunday – of lying.

Other than that, it was just another day at Braylon headquarters.

Edwards, selected with the third overall pick by the Browns in April’s draft, said the Dolphins had told him they were going to take him with the second pick. However, Miami took Auburn running back Ronnie Brown.

“I think I was lied to,” Edwards said. “I’ve said that on the record. I think they used me as a pawn in the things that they were trying to do.”

Later, on a conference call with Dolphins media, Edwards said he woke up the morning of the draft thinking he was going to Miami.

“They told me one thing and did another,” he said. “We call that lying.”

Dolphins first-year coach Nick Saban explained that Edwards was one of three players the club considered taking with the pick. He denied ever promising Edwards he would take him.

“I never said that, and I don’t know who in this organization did,” Saban said. “We have nothing but respect for Braylon. I apologize to anyone who was hurt by that. I didn’t do it. I didn’t have knowledge of it.”

On Monday, Edwards said it was time the Browns started using his playmaking skills better. In Sunday night’s 34-21 loss at Pittsburgh, Edwards caught just two passes – both in the fourth quarter – for 64 yards.

“I can make plays,” said Edwards, whose 17 catches in nine games match his jersey number. “That’s why I was drafted. That’s why I’m here. And sooner or later, they have to give me a chance to do that.”

Edwards doesn’t regret making the comments.

“Obviously, things were said Monday that I don’t take back,” he said. “That pretty much ended it.”

Crennel said yesterday that he doesn’t have any problem with Edwards’ assertions and understands his frustration at not making plays. However, Crennel was unusually short after dealing with another barrage of questions about his talented player.

“We’ve worked him in and we will continue to work him in and there is no issue and no problem with Braylon,” Crennel said. “We are on the same page. The coach makes the decision and the player plays.”

Crennel feels there is no need to speak with Edwards specifically about his give-me-the ball comments.