Falcons will swim against Ohio State

The BGSU swim team awaits the arrival of the Big Ten’s Ohio State today.

After a devastating weekend that included losses to Toledo and Eastern Michigan, the Falcons are looking forward to forgetting the past and concentrating on defeating the Buckeyes. Although OSU finished just 10th last year in the Big 10 meet, BG may be overmatched.

“OSU will be the toughest competition of the year and we are excited to race them,” said BG coach Keri Buff. “We just have to keep doing our thing in hopes of closing the gap until we beat them.”

Even though Ohio State is well rounded in their athletics programs, the Falcons have the confidence, positive attitude and talent they need to beat them in the water.

BG swimmers Dana Schultz, senior, and Alisha Yee, freshman, are proof of that. Schultz, who has yet to lose a butterfly event this season, took home three individual wins this past weekend. Yee, who competed in her first Mid-American Conference meet last Friday, also placed first in three events over the weekend. Yee competes in the 200-yard IM and the 100-yard backstroke.

“She is a great addition to our program and is definitely someone to look for in the MAC,” Buff said.

The Falcons’ confidence may have something to do with the amount of support they receive from their teammates, coaches, family and friends. The team has raised its standards this year and the next obstacle to defeat will be OSU. With their standards placed high, the support has been raised as well and that gives them the motivation these swimmers and divers need to succeed in beating teams from more prestigious conferences.

“We have a great family and fan base and it’s a huge help. It really drives the girls,” Buff said. “We still have some work to do, but the girls are definitely up for it.”

The meet, which will be OSU’s first of the season, will start at 5 p.m. at Cooper Pool.