USG pushes for a 24/7 silent study location

Undergraduate Student Govern-ment is acting to promote a 24-hour study space on campus.

At their meeting on Monday night, senators voted unanimously in favor of legislation that advocates the creation of a study area that would be open 24-hours per day, seven days per week.

In the legislation, senators ask for the study area to “contain academic support services, like technical assistance, a testing center, the study skills lab, math/science tutors, the writers’ lab, and large and small group study rooms to be available to students during regular hours…”

Students currently have to be creative in finding places to study once the Jerome Library closes at midnight Sunday through Thursday and at 9 p.m. on Friday and Saturday nights.

By talking to students, the USG Academic Affairs Committee has learned that some students study in the Fine Arts Center after the library closes because the art building has 24-hour access.

“That’s not a study-friendly environment,” said Sarah Connelly, chair of the Academic Affairs Committee and author of the legislation, prior to the meeting.

Lorraine Haricombe, dean of University Libraries, spoke to senators before they voted on the legislation and told them of the need for more hours in study areas.

“One of the issues that comes up annually to me is the 24-hour access to the Library,” Haricombe said.

But while the Library would be the ideal space for a study area, it’s not possible because of the structure of the building.

“We do not have an access area in the Library we can block off to provide you 24-hour access,” Haricombe said.

In order for one area of the Library to be available to students during late night hours, all eight floors would have to be open, Haricombe said.

For the Library to be able to house the 24-hour study space, Connelly wood like to see it remodeled so the study space can be permanently located on the first floor.

“I hope it [the legislation] eventually gives way to additional funding so the Library can be remodeled so further down the road the space can be housed in the Library,” Connelly said.

But until then, other spaces on campus are also being considered for the study area.

Once the materials in Ogg Science library are moved from the Math Sciences building, the vacated space could be a temporary home for the study rooms, Connelly said.

But there is other competition for that space.

Neal Carothers, chair of the Department of Mathematics and Statistics, acknowledged that his department is issuing a joint proposal with other departments for use of the space, although he couldn’t give the details of the proposal at this time.

Carothers said he is aware of other proposals being made for the space as well.

And comfort is another issue to consider in the creation of the study area.

Academic Affairs has looked into study spaces of other universities and likes ones with windows, lots of lighting, fireplaces, and big tables, Connelly said.

“It’s just totally going after what students feel is a comfortable space,” Connelly said, adding that she would like the study area at BGSU to have a new and remodeled feel.

At the meeting, Niki Messmore, at-large senator, expressed concerns about the funding that would be needed to create the study space.

Although Messmore voted in favor of the legislation because her constituents support it, Messmore hopes the University’s funding is well used.

“I want to make sure it’s handled in a financially sound manner,” Messmore said.

During the meeting, Messmore questioned whether the Study Skills, Math and Stats, and Writing Centers should be moved from their current location at Moseley Hall to the new study area.

The funds could be used in other ways that would benefit students more, Messmore later said, citing the loss of the Victim’s Advocate position.

Messmore acknowledged that because of how the budget is set up, it would be difficult to transfer funds from the Library to other departments.

But Messmore thinks it’s important to prioritize the use of the University’s funding.

“Lives are more important than books, more important than a study area,” Messmore said.

And it’s not just USG that is looking into the 24-hour study area.

USG and the Graduate Student Senate are working together on the issue, according to Aaron Shumaker, USG president.

“There has been a need for later hours for undergraduate students and maybe early hours for graduate students,” Shumaker said prior to the meeting, adding, “this space could fill the needs of both of our interests.”

Zach Hilpert, GSS president, supports USG’s efforts but wants to keep the possibility open for a separate study area for graduate students.

“We want to share the space but keep our distance from undergraduates,” Hilpert said.

Connelly is excited about the possibility of students having 24-hour access to study areas.

“I think it could definitely benefit a lot of people with a wide variety of majors,” Connelly said.

‘#160;