Festival stretched to one week

The India Student Association is bringing bits and pieces of Indian culture to Bowling Green this week as part of a week-long series of planned events called “Diverse India.”

In past years, only one day was reserved to showcase India’s unique and diverse culture, which ended with the Diwali festival, or Mela.

“We figured India has so much to offer that we couldn’t encompass all of it in just one night,” ISA president Birender Anand said. “We want to show people more of our culture and more diversity.”

The ISA has been hosting an event every night since Sunday, Nov. 6, when the opening prayers were said in the Union.

To exemplify how large a role diversity plays in this week’s events, prayers were recited from many different religions.

On Monday, a dance workshop called Bhangra 101 was held in the Student Recreation Center, and Olscamp played host to a Henna tattoo party last night.

The main event – the Mela festival – will be held on Saturday evening. The night will consist of authentic Indian food, dance performances, guest speakers, singing, an open bar and an after-party.

Last year’s Mela won the award for the Cross-Cultural Program of the Year, and the cabinet members of ISA are working diligently to make this year’s festival even better.

ISA member Anamita Goll, senior, has been rehearsing her dance routines until 2 a.m. in anticipation of the event.

“I’m pretty excited,” she said. “Everyone’s working really hard to put together a great show.”

Shantha Das, vice president of the group, attended and performed in the 2004 Mela.

“It was very fun and very cultural,” she said. “The performance we did was a bhangra dance.”

Anand describe bhangra as being very energetic, which he said might explain why it’s so popular around the world.

“Energetic is a good word to describe bhangra,” he said.

One of Goll’s dance performances will be an all-girl routine that incorporates traditional Indian styles into a more modern dance.

“In addition to watching the dance routines,” said ISA treasurer Chandan Agrawal, sophomore, “the food is one of the biggest perks to attending Mela.”

“I like all Indian food,” he said, “but my favorite part is watching the dance performances. It’s definitely worth the price of a ticket.”

Anand has arranged for an Indian dance group from Ohio State University to perform this year, and has hired caterers to provide a buffet of Indian dishes like Naan, Chicken Tikka Masala and Gulab Jamun.

The ISA will be hosting several more events prior to the Mela festival on Saturday, including the Cup of Culture in the Union Multicultural Lounge at 5 p.m. today, and a screening of the movie Gandhi on Thursday in the Union Movie Theater at 6 p.m.

Anand expects a full house on Saturday evening.

“Students should come to experience the little bit of India that we’re so proud to present,” he said.

The Mela festival will be held on Saturday at 6 p.m. in the Lenhart Grand Ballroom in the Union. Tickets are $10 and are available at the information desk in the Union.