Want to see great basketball? Watch the women

If the student body wants to see a championship caliber team they don’t have to wait for Omar and company to reach the Motor City Bowl.

In fact, they don’t have to go very far at all.

Just a short walk to Anderson Arena at 7 p.m. tonight and they will get to see defending champions at work as the women’s basketball team takes on IPFW.

I’m not trying to start a debate about gender in American society, or pretend that I’d rather watch Swin Cash than Chauncey Billups.

What I am saying is that I would get embarrassed on the court by both players – and chances are you would too.

What I am saying is that if you want to watch great basketball then watch the women play basketball.

They are good… really really good.

Could they beat the men’s team? I don’t know, and frankly I don’t care.

Comparing the two isn’t really important, or terribly interesting.

What I do know is that I am a fan of good basketball and therefore I will be in Anderson Arena both Friday and Saturday.

The Falcons are returning all five starters from last season’s championship squad and have added even more sweet shooters to the lineup.

The team is full of hard workers, not superstar talents, and a coach that knows how to utilize everything at his disposal on any given night.

Ali Mann, Liz Honneger and Kate Achter are three tremendous basketball players – not just women basketball players, but basketball players.

I find it humorous that men trivialize women’s sports, but would also probably get embarrassed if they themselves tried to D up against any female team.

I’m not going to try to make the argument that women are just as good as men, or the WNBA is better than the male counterpart.

What I am saying is that you don’t need to compare the two because it doesn’t really matter.

The purpose of athletic competition is to face off against a group of your peers and try and be the best.

Well, the Falcons have proved themselves to be the best.

They are going to run up and down the floor tirelessly and score points in bunches.

You could compare them to a college equivalent of the Amare-less Phoenix Suns (although you already know what I said about comparisons), a small run and gun team with no huge post presence.

The inescapable fact of the matter is that they are the best of the best in the Mid American Conference.

Those who truly love the game of basketball, or are craving an excellent display of basketball talent should not be shy about rooting for the Falcons.

They’ve earned it.

‘#160;