Movie Review: “Yours, Mine and Ours”

“Yours, Mine and Ours” is a remake of the 1968 comedy that starred Henry Fonda and Lucille Ball as two single parents who marry with a combined total of 18 children.

The remake follows the same basic premise of the original, but this time, around stars Dennis Quaid and Rene Russo in the role of the parents.

Despite the same basic concept there is very little in common between the original and the remake. Yes, there is still a family with 18 kids who do not get along very well, but that’s about all that the two share in common.

While this isn’t a bad thing, using the same repetitive and childish jokes throughout the entire film is.

“Yours, Mine and Ours” is filled with immature jokes that pretty much isolate its audience to children between the ages of 4-10. Anyone else would have realized five minutes into the film that this is something they have seen a dozen times before, in just about every family-oriented movie that has been released over the last few years.

This isn’t to say that “Yours, Mine and Ours” is a bad movie; it’s just that it is redundant and unoriginal. There is decent acting from the fairly large cast – comprised mostly of child actors, which does help the film a little bit – but still not a whole lot.

“Yours, Mine and Ours” is very similar to 2003’s “Cheaper by the Dozen,” which is also a remake in the sense that they have taken a classic comedy and reworked it into some kind of dumb, brainless comedy that sucks the life out of today’s movies.

This movie is good for little children – to keep them occupied that is. It is otherwise best to skip this film for something with a little more substance to it.

– Joseph Cunningham