Not yet ready to accept reality

Someday I will realize that I witnessed a fabulous football game.

Someday.

Someday I will understand that it was a privilege to watch a thrilling, double overtime game between two of the MAC’s premiere teams in person. Someday it won’t bother me that the Falcons came up on the short end of the stick in losing to the Toledo Rockets 44-41 and most likely ending their season.

Unfortunately, that day is not today. The hurt is too deep, the wound too fresh. I can’t help but be disappointed, to feel like the team under performed.

This was the year Bowling Green was going to hitch their wagon to the incomparable Omar Jacobs and a stable of sensational seniors and make some national noise.

I guess things don’t always work out the way you envision.

All I can think about is that final pass falling into the arms of Chris Hopkins and instantly looking onto the Falcons sideline where player reactions ranged from shock, to the hanging heads of some disappointed players, to ones like that of senior receiver Steve Sanders, who screamed in a combination of anger and disbelief.

I can see where he was coming from, even if the emotion only lasted for that initial and brief moment.

This wasn’t the way the story was supposed to end. The last chapter was supposed to be one of perseverance and triumph, not one of unfulfilled opportunity.

Instead, with a 6-5 record, the Falcons are left teetering on the edge. They are bowl-eligible but will need some sympathy to get an invite. Instead of running away with the East division, they are just good enough to be on the outside looking in.

I was hoping that the Thanksgiving break would dull the disappointment – and family and turkey certainly kept me distracted for a while – but as soon as I got off of I-75 and saw the BGSU sign at the Doyt, I was left with the same feeling.

Everyone can say they should have won until they are blue in the face, but the reality is that if they should have won then they would have won.

Nobody takes anything away from you in sports except for yourself.

Maybe that’s why I still can’t shake this loss, even a week after the fact.

If I could somehow pin this season on some injustice done to the Falcons, it would be a lot easier to stomach.

That’s just not how life works.

Sure, the Falcons had their problems. They had plenty of setbacks, including an injured quarterback.

But, in the end, as coach Gregg Brandon has often said, “You have to fight through that. It’s part of football.”

Well, the Falcons fought their hearts out and in the end, they came up just short.

Someday, I suppose I’ll get over it. Just not today.