Panelists plug internship variety

“If you stand in the shower for too long in the morning because you don’t want to go to work, it’s time to look for a new job,” said Bruce Bryan, general sales manager at NBC 24 Toledo.

Bryan, along with six other panelists led the discussion, “Careers in Advertising, Communications and Public Relations,” last night. The discussion, sponsored by the Career Center, covered topics including internships, finding the right job and the job market.

Although panelists all have careers in communications, their advice could be applied to any job search.

Bryan stressed the importance of doing several different types of internships as a way of finding the most suitable job. As a broadcast journalism major, Bryan said he hadn’t anticipated working in sales, but found he enjoyed it after trying several different jobs.

“In college, I didn’t even know there was a sales department at news stations,” Bryan said. “But now I love my job.”

Panelist Adam Spriggs, assistant account executive at Tailford Associates, was a Visual Communication Technology major at the University. He agreed that when looking for a job, it is helpful to be open to many different opportunities as a way to get ahead.

“My job entails a little bit of everything and being exposed to new things,” Spriggs said. “Expect to be thrown to the wolves and fend for yourself. It makes you a better employee because you have to learn.”

Most of the panelists agreed that they had to hold positions that they didn’t necessarily like in order to get one that they did. Shanikwa Stratford, NBC 24 Toledo anchor, said she worked as a reporter, a production assistant and a public relations representative before she became an anchor.

Panelist Myrt Price, Fox Toledo reporte r, said he worked as a photographer before becoming a general assignment reporter.

“To be successful you have to be hungry and willing to take advantage of opportunities offered to you. Be willing to do whatever it takes to get that first job,” Price said.

The panelists added to get a foot in the door however possible, then pursue the desired job.

“Your first job is going to be the hardest to get and you won’t be making very much money,” Bryan said.

Celeste Robertson, assistant director of the Career Center, wanted have the discussion to help students, she said.

“In general, most students have no clue what to expect after graduation, no internships and no experience,” Robertson said. “I wanted the panel to be honest and upfront about the need for preparation.”

Emily Bonath, senior marketing major, said she liked the discussion because the panelists talked about things that aren’t taught in class. She asked the panelists their views on looking places other than their hometown for jobs.

The panelists encouraged looking for jobs in different cities in order to find the best opportunities. Price, who never though he would end up in Ohio, said the move was beneficial.

“You can’t be scared to move away from home,” Price said. “It was a big jump leaving Mississippi to come to Ohio, but I wanted to be the best I could be.”

For more information about upcoming events and Career Center services, visit: www.bgsu.edu/offices/sa/career/

‘#160;