Skyline helps stop domestic violence

Skyline Chili is stopping domestic violence one cheese coney at a time.

Skyline donated 7.5 percent of Saturday’s sales to domestic violence awareness. Violence Intervention to Advocate Life Choices, received about $111.

Skyline hit record sales said manager Alex Geisen.

‘It was the busiest I have ever seen it. And it wasn’t just like that at certain times,” he said. “It was busy all day long.”

Homecoming weekend and the fund-raiser are the main sources of the high sales. On Saturday sales were $1,491. The previous Saturday had much lower sales at roughly $1,200.

Manager Ben Truthan said the fund-raiser played the biggest role in the high sales because people who might have choose a different restaurant if Skyline was not raising money for domestic violence.

“Skyline has always extended the opportunity for fund-raisers and community building which in fact benefits them as well will the high sales,” Truthan said.

Liv Witte, a senior and intern at VITAL gave credit to the community for the high sales.

“Domestic violence affects our whole community. It is a crime against the community and the family. This is why it is important for everyone to be aware of signs of abuse and the options available,” Witte said.

VITAL provides advocacy for domestic abuse victims. They also have a 24-hour hotline that victims can call.

“We make sure they know all of their options,” she said. “A lot of times victims feel that they don’t have any support, so we give them that support they need.”

“Domestic violence is about their abuser having control. We can help them understand they have options to get out of these situations. We can help them take back control of their life,” she said.

The advocates providing counseling are extensively trained and available 24-hours a day. For more information or to volunteer call 419-352-1545.

‘#160;

‘#160;

‘#160;