Bancroft back for more

It began with a street name in Newton Falls, Ohio, and continued in Bowling Green with an exit from I-75. With a majority of the band’s members – three out of four – from Newton Falls, it was important to have ties to their hometown and to their new home.

That’s how the band Bancroft got its name. Bancroft is a street in Newton Falls that Andy Hutchinson, lead singer and guitarist, remembered driving past when he was at home.

Bancroft is also the exit he took off I-75 when he visited fellow band mate Brett Duffy, lead guitarist, at the University of Toledo.

Dave Nemet, bassist, and Mark Poseler, drummer, make up the rest of the band. These four have been together since 2002.

Because Bancroft is centered in Bowling Green and the band members have ties here from their college years, playing here has always been exciting for them.

“We’ve always done relatively good in Bowling Green,” Andy said, “even though none of us grew up in this area.”

They try to play in Bowling Green about once a month and they typically switch between playing at Howard’s Club H and Nate and Wally’s.

“Nate and Wally’s is almost like a party,” Andy said. “It’s a smaller stage and a more casual atmosphere.”

As for Howard’s, “you can definitely, if you have a good crowd and you do it right, have a lot more of a, ‘this is a really big show,’ kinda feel,” Andy said.

Bancroft just had their CD release party at Howard’s at the beginning of the month.

“The energy in that place was amazing,” Andy said.

The crowd raised the bar on the energy level. Andy remembered being upstairs while another band was playing and hearing the crowd begin to chant, “Bancroft. Bancroft. Bancroft.” For Andy, the energy from the people alone made the show worthwhile.

“It was just so crazy,” Andy said. “It was such an experience.”

Making their last CD, “The Melophobic Solution,” was also quite an experience. With only four people in the band and no management team, it was up to the members to put everything together.

“Our CD, we’re especially proud of,” Andy said. “It was recorded by ourselves in a basement. The equipment we used, we saved our money and bought. The pictures we did were taken by us.”

There was, however, one mix-up. Up until the last minute, the CD cover had the correct spelling of the title. Once things had been printed up, Andy noticed that the title now read “The Melophibic Solution” instead of “The Melophobic Solution.” There are a few copies of the CD with the misprint available at places like Finder’s and Madhatter’s.

The CD was recorded in the basement of Mark’s parents’ house in Gibsonburg, which is also where the band practices.

Getting together to practice means long drives for some, so they only get to practice once or twice a week.

Andy and Mark live together in Bowling Green, but Brett lives in Elyria and Dave lives in Ashland.

Despite only getting to practice a few times a week, the band tries to make each show the best it can be.

“We try to make sure that every show we play is the best show we’ve ever played,” Andy said. “Every original song we play, we believe in 110 percent.”

Bancroft is gearing up for their show at Nate and Wally’s tomorrow night. Drowning Poet, Hammel on Trial and Pituccuto will be opening for them. The show starts at 9 p.m., but Bancroft isn’t expecting to take the stage until around midnight.