BG comedy troupe shows improv skills

Quick. Reach into your book bag and pull everything out. Now name your new organization after the most interesting object in your bag.

That was the method John Serve used six years ago while trying to find a suitable moniker for his newly formed improvisational comedy troupe. Fortunately, he extracted a plastic figurine of William Shatner.

Although Serve graduated from the University years ago, the Plastic Shatners continue to honor that same sense of humor and randomness.

The Shatners have begun practicing with their new lineup after holding auditions earlier this school year, and according to senior Caitlin Skaff, things are looking good.

“We’re all equally talented,” she said. “It’s very interesting to see how members play off of each other.”

Skaff is a returning member to the traditional team, which she compares to the antics seen on the popular television program “Whose Line Is It Anyway?” which focuses on what Skaff called “short-form improv.”

This form relies heavily on audience participation in games that give the cast members an opportunity to display their ability to think on their feet.

Games include “Famous Last Words,” in which the audience calls out a name and the players deliver the absolute worst last words that person could say, and “The Everyday Olympics,” where commentators exclaim over events like dish-washing and tooth-brushing.

While the traditional team practices short-form improv, the experimental team specializes in long-form.

Experimental team member Mat Thornburg describes long-form improv as being character-based, in addition to being lengthier than games played by the traditional team.

“The members are able to form a plot,” Thornburg said. “And there’s not as much audience participation.”

Audiences are able to catch both teams perform at least once a month. The Plastic Shatners schedule their free shows according to how prepared the group is, as well as accommodating the members’ busy itineraries.

Jessica Mitolo, director of the experimental team, seemed excited about the new lineup, but admitted that “every year sees a new dynamic.”

According to sophomore Carrie Williams, who assisted with auditions, the tryouts included a place to draw your favorite animal and “other random fun.”

The newcomers to the group are open to new ideas and are honest individuals, Mitolo said.

“The people are here because they love it,” Mitolo added. “It’s the only place you can get this kind of experience.”

Neither team has yet come up with a name, which is a tradition with each new cast. Last year, the traditional team went by “Knock Knock Screw You,” while the experimental team was known as “Stenographers Prancing.”

Mitolo recalled her first year as a Shatner.

“Improv terrified me, but I loved the people who were doing it, and now it’s my favorite thing in the world,” she said.

But in Thornburg’s world, there is only one motive behind his participation in the Plastic Shatners.

“I’m just in it for the ladies,” he said. “It’s all about the improv groupies.”

The Shatners have not yet scheduled any performances. Keep checking the BG News for announcements to see when they will perform next.