Murphy’s Law rules over Falcons’ play Saturday

‘#160;

Perhaps it was the cold weather finally blowing into Bowling Green, or maybe there was something in the water Saturday night.

Whatever it was, one thing was for certain – the Falcons’ victory Saturday was bizarre.

It seemed that the entire night was dictated by Murphy’s Law – anything that can go wrong will go wrong.

When the Falcons fumbled the opening kickoff trying to run a trick reverse play it was a sign that something was amiss.

Even more bizarre was that the Bobcats came up empty handed on the ensuing drive when they were unable to punch it in from the four yard line and then blew the field goal attempt.

And then there was the score at halftime – Falcons zero Bobcats zero.

Weird.

Nothing quite happened the way it should have, or at the very least the way you would expect it. Especially on special teams.

Falcons coach Gregg Brandon deemed the special teams an “adventure.”

One can assume that it wasn’t a fun, Indiana Jones type of adventure. Probably more like the adventure of trying to find your car keys when you already know you’re going to be late for work.

During every punt and kickoff you would sit back and think to yourself, “Okay, what is going to happen next.”

But just to pick on the special teams would be inaccurate of just how weird the game was.

To really get a sense of the oddity of the evening you just have to check out Omar Jacobs first touchdown of the evening.

Going into the night Jacobs was one touchdown pass behind Brian McClure (63) for the school record.

Jacobs zipped a ball into Charles Sharon. Sharon zigged and zagged for extra yards, but was corralled two yards shy of the end zone. Sharon, however, tried to fight his way through the defense and promptly coughed up the football.

An alert Steve Sanders quickly pounced on the ball in the end zone.

Touchdown.

Not only that, but a touchdown pass.

It seems, under NCAA rules Jacobs is credited with a 16 yard touchdown pass, Sharon credited with a 16 yard reception, even though he fumbled after 14 yards. And Steve Sanders doesn’t get credit for a reception, but he gets credit for a touchdown reception.

Wacky, wacky stuff.

Certainly it won’t be one of Jacobs cherished memories of his time at Bowling Green, but he promptly broke the record in a more traditional, Omar-esque way when he threw a beautiful 41 yard touchdown pass to Sharon in the third quarter.

Whether you want to call all the peculiar plays in the game dodging a bullet, or shooting yourself in the foot or just plain getting lucky one thing is for certain. It was weird.