Jacobs questionable, Turner ready to start

Omar Jacobs is listed as questionable for Saturday’s game against the Akron Zips, according to coach Gregg Brandon.

Brandon said the plan was to evaluate him on a daily basis and see what his pain threshold is to see if he can play either against the Zips or the following week when the Falcons play at Kent State.

Jacobs separated his non-throwing shoulder following a tackle in the first quarter of the Falcon’s loss to Western Michigan last Saturday.

The team is preparing as if they will be without the services of their All-MAC quarterback by giving almost all the reps to Jacobs’ backup, redshirt freshman Anthony Turner.

“He’s a very talented player, reminds me a lot of Josh Harris,” said Brandon of his young quarterback. “He’s got a strong arm; you saw that Saturday, he can wing it. He’s a good runner, I think he fits our system well.”

Brandon said the offensive gameplan will be simplified slightly and they will try to take advantage of Turner’s mobility.

“Some of the running game that we haven’t been doing with Omar, we can bring off the shelf with Anthony a little bit, because he’s more in that mold,” Brandon said.

Turner had both ups and downs in his first game of meaningful playing time in his collegiate career. He completed 20 of 38 passes for 242 yards and rushed for a touchdown. However, he also threw two interceptions deep in Broncos territory that eliminated scoring opportunities for the Falcons.

Brandon said he has full confidence in Turner’s abilities to lead the Falcons to victory and said he would benefit from a week of practice where he can get the majority of reps with the first unit.

After the Western Michigan game, Turner said he was doing things in the game he had not worked on with the second unit in practice.

“We usually give twice as many reps to the starters,” said Brandon. “Particularly with the plan on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday in game preparation. (In a typical week), Omar’s probably getting seven to eight out of 10 snaps.”