New idea for textbook costs

‘#160;

The average college student spends nearly $900 on textbooks each year, according to a new report from the Government Accountability Office.

To help lessen that financial strain, Ohio Congressman Tim Ryan (D-17) has introduced two bills dealing with the cost of textbooks.

Last year Ryan introduced the Textbook Tax Credit Act, which would allow college students to claim up to $1,000 in credit towards the amount they spend on textbooks.

He also recently introduced the Affordable Books for College Act, which would provide grants and loans for universities to set up textbook rental programs.

Ryan Keating, communications director for Congressman Ryan, said the problem with costly textbooks was brought to the Congressman’s attention by his constituents.

When Ryan researched it, he found that the average price of college textbooks was rising at twice the rate of inflation, Keating said.

‘We saw the report of skyrocketing textbook prices and we wanted to do something about it. That’s when we started looking at ways to bring down the cost,’ Keating said.

Keating added that it is difficult now with tax cuts and reductions to get these programs off the ground.

He encourages students to get involved and make their opinions known to their representatives in Ohio’s Statehouse.

‘Hopefully students and parents can come together to put pressure on the government to get a program set up,’ Keating said.

Maureen Ireland, assistant director of textbooks at the Union Bookstore, said that a textbook rental program could save students’ money but it could have a downside.

‘The textbook rental can help students’ costs, but it could hinder a student’s knowledge,’ Ireland said.

Since there are certain subjects that are constantly developing and changing such as science and law it would be better for the student to have the most up-to-date edition, rather than having to rent a book that is outdated, Ireland said.

Josh Kessler, an environmental science major at the University, said he spends about $800 on textbooks every year.

‘I would definitely support a bill that would save me money, even if it meant not having the textbook’s newest edition,’ Kessler said.

He added that if a program like this were in place, professors could probably still teach new developments from the field in classrooms, even if the students didn’t have the newest book edition.

Bowling Green’s Congressman Bob Latta (R-06) can be contacted in Columbus at (614) 466-8104.