Comedian delivers laughs, message

‘#160;

From bigotry to cancer, laughter heals.

At least that’s what comedian Rene Hicks believes, and she chose it as the title of her comedy act last night in the Union Ballroom.

‘College kids don’t laugh enough. Undergrads only laugh 18 to 20 times a day and that’s not enough. I say you should laugh, then decide if it’s funny,’ Hicks said.

The show started at 9 p.m. and was sponsored by the Orientation and First Year Programs, which had been looking forward to the comedienne for some time.

‘Rene weaves in messages about diversity. She came highly recommended to us,’ said Janet Foldenauer, coordinator of Orientation and First Year Programs.

The program is part of the fall welcome schedule for freshmen.

‘We found that comedians usually draw a crowd and go over well,’ Foldenaur said. ‘It is a good opportunity for new students to come and meet other students.’

Brooke Sims, Hicks’ agent, said she felt Bowling Green would be a good show.

‘Bowling Green has brought in a lot of our speakers which have covered many topics from relationships to motivation to inspiration,’ Sims said.

Hicks joked about everything from majors at Bowling Green to the high cost of books.

‘If you have to buy a book that costs $150, that book should be able to sprout legs and go to class and take notes for you a few days a week,’ she joked.

Hicks has been twice nominated for College Comedian of the Year, and has had her own half-hour special on Comedy Central.

Hicks also mentioned how colleges are fighting students cheating on tests.

‘Professors know you cheat, that’s why they have you show your work. What are you going to do then, draw a picture of yourself looking at someone else’s paper?’ she said.

Steve Nichols, junior, enjoyed Hicks performance, especially her take on how people now have too many choices to make in day-to-day life.

‘I liked the show. My favorite part was her Epicurean mentality towards technology,’ Nichols said.

To conclude the night, Hicks wanted to emphasize her love for everyone well, almost everyone.

‘I like people, all people. Except for the crazy stupid people,’ Hicks said.