Falcons need home support

It has been a rough opening road trip for the Bowling Green football team.

They lost an opening game shoot-out at Wisconsin, struggled to beat Ball State and were embarrassed on national television by Boise State.

Now for the good news – they’re coming home.

The Falcons need our support now more than ever, and it is just the right time for a good home-cooked meal to heal old wounds and affirm some confidence in the team.

Temple is coming to town facing a team looking to take out their frustrations. They will use the game to reestablish their faith in both their offense and defense. Don’t be surprised to see a truly inspired performance from the Falcons. I expect to see a renewed sense of energy and commitment on Saturday.

So Omar Jacobs probably won’t get the Heisman publicity all the fans had hoped for. I don’t think he minds.

He can use Saturday as a stepping stone towards continuing a great season and establishing himself as one of the all-time great quarterbacks in the MAC. And he could even be back next season if he wants to.

So the Falcons aren’t going to be BCS busters. So what?

They still have the opportunity to run through their MAC schedule undefeated and take home what they’ve been after all along – the MAC trophy.

The team knows there is no time to mess around anymore and no room for error.

Don’t lose faith Falcon fans, our team is still one of the best in the MAC and one of the top-tier programs in the nation. They played an ambitious out-of-conference schedule to begin the season, and things did not turn out as they had hoped.

That doesn’t mean it is time to jump off the bandwagon. Their October schedule should be a breeze, and will give them ample time to work the kinks out of their system.

By the time BG plays Akron on Oct. 29, the Falcon team will not be the same one we saw looking confused and defeated on ESPN2. And if the Falcons go five for October, that leaves them at 6-2 with a 4-0 record in the MAC.

The conference record should not be overlooked, and even though we aren’t playing top-25 programs, that doesn’t mean those victories won’t be valuable.

So when the Falcons storm the field on Saturday against Temple, they will need all of the support from the fans they can get. And they deserve all the cheering you can muster because they are a good team and their quest is not lost. In fact, they are on their way to what they wanted all along.

See you at Ford Field for the Motor City Bowl.