BG students will run 200K to raise money

After the tsunami hit Asia in December 2004, two University students couldn’t stand sitting around – so they started running for charity.

“After the tsunami, I was wondering what I could do to help and get in shape at the same time,” said Nic Parrish, senior, “so I came up with the idea to run for charities.”

Parrish and best friend Brendan Farrell, founded the Run-4-Real organization to raise money for tsunami relief, the National Multiple Sclerosis Society, Make-a-Wish Foundation, Men Stopping Violence and Hurricane Katrina relief efforts.

The duo plans to run 200 kilometers throughout ten 10K races, spanning the summer and fall of 2005.

This year they’ve raised close to $1,500, and worked off some excess weight in the process.

“Our long term goal is $20,000, and we are well on our way,” Parrish said.

One family that has helped Run-4-Real get closer to their goal is Pam and Steve Lang, neighbors of Parrish.

The Langs thought it was great that students were willing to take time from their busy schedule for such an important issue, so they donated money.

“I pay them to run for me,” Pam said. “It’s a commendable idea, I just don’t have time to do it myself.”

These donations are tax-deductible. Several local area businesses, national corporate sponsors and friends have sponsored the Run-4-Real efforts thus far.

In hopes to meet their goal, Parrish and Farrell plans to get a network of college students to run and raise money in the upcoming year.

The next race will be on Oct. 1, in Cleveland at Lakewood Park.

For this race, Christine Rock, a BGSU alumna, will join Parrish.

The two runners think this race should be just as exciting as the other six races have been, and will help in many different ways.

“Running these races gives us a chance to improve our physical state, meet amazing people, and most importantly improve the quality of life for as many as will let us touch theirs,” Parrish said.

For further information on this organization, or to donate money, visit www.run4real.org.