USG sets this year’s goals

With new members sworn into Undergraduate Student Government last night, senators focused their discussion on determining USG’s focus for the 2005-06 school year.

Maria Khoury, off-campus senator, advocated for USG to follow up on the issue of anti-urbanwear dress codes at Bowling Green’s downtown clubs, such as Sky Bar, Uptown, and Junction.

Last year, USG addressed concerns about un-posted dress codes at the clubs, and as a result, some clubs have posted their lists of prohibited apparel, according to Raquel Colon, undergraduate student representative on the Board of Trustees.

But the dress codes continue to be of concern for University students because the codes are still vague and decisions about violations are left up to the bouncers’ discretion at the clubs’ doors, Khoury said.

Prohibited items include Timberland boots, white T-shirts, jerseys, velour suits, sweat suits, skull caps, and hats not worn facing directly forward or backward, according to Colon.

The dress codes are said to be in place to prevent violence in the clubs, but Colon questions whether the codes are effective at this and whether they actually target minority students.

Caucasian students are allowed into clubs wearing outfits that could violate the dress codes while minority students who wear similar outfits are asked to change before they are allowed to enter the clubs, Colon said.

“Racial profiling is essentially what it comes down to,” Colon said.

Colon related an incident she witnessed in which she believes such racial profiling was used. A minority male student wearing Timberlands, fitted jeans, and a loose button-down shirt was refused admission to a downtown club while a Caucasian male who was next in-line and also wearing Timberlands but baggier jeans was allowed to enter the club.

Other senators have witnessed or heard of similar incidents.

For example, Khoury has personally witnessed what she believes was racial profiling targeted at her own friends.

This occurred when an African American male student wearing a white undershirt was refused entry because a little white from the T-shirt was showing. But the same night, a Caucasian male, who was also wearing a white shirt, was allowed into the same club without being forced to change, according to Khoury.

To improve the current situation, Khoury suggested possible action USG could take to help targeted University students.

Khoury believes USG should work with the Black Student Union, the Latino Student Union, and the NAACP to address the issue and test the charges of racial profiling to see whether they are true.

If the charges are proven, then the coalition of student groups should discuss their concerns with club owners, city officials, and the police Khoury said.

The goal of these discussions would be to urge downtown clubs to change their dress codes so they are more effective at preventing violence while not encouraging racial profiling.

To prevent violence, clubs should focus more on not serving underage students and barring patrons who are carrying weapons rather than turning away students are simply wearing white T-shirts, according to Khoury.

“I would like [the dress code] to be more specific and I would like it to apply to everybody,” Khoury said.

Aaron Shumaker, president of USG, is also concerned about the issue, which was part of his platform as a candidate last spring for USG president.

“It’s something Bernard [Little, USG vice president,] and I feel very passionate about,” Shumaker said. “We want to bring it to some type of resolution by the end of the year.”

Other issues that senators want to address this year are: the off-campus bike law that prevent bicyclists from riding on city streets, the allocation of student general fees, and urging the Board of Trustees to include a waiver in the new mandatory student health care plan that will make exceptions for students who are unable to pay for the health care plan.