Falcons play against

Today is a big test for the Bowling Green Falcon football team.

We know they’re a great team, but the question is, can they beat themselves?

In essence when Omar Jacobs and crew take the field against the Boise State Broncos they will be playing themselves – great quarterback, athletic defense, fantastic offense.

Are the Falcons up to the task? If they play like they have against Wisconsin and Ball State the answer is an emphatic, “No.”

The defensive lapses almost killed BG against a Ball State crew with an offense that isn’t at 1/10th the level of Boise State.

Freshman Antonio Smith has shown flashes of greatness in his short time as a starting cornerback, culminating in his game clinching interception in the fourth quarter against the Cardinals. But to beat the Broncos he must step up to an all new level.

Fellow starter Jelani Jordan was the highlight of the defense last week, displaying a number of solid tackles in the open field that prevented short gains from becoming touchdowns.

But even he has to bring his game to another level. Boise State won’t give him an opportunity to tackle in the open field if they air the ball out 45 yards downfield. Jordan will have to stay tight on his man and prevent as many big plays as he can for the Falcons to be successful.

The defense, despite their struggles at Ball State showed a lot of improvement as a unit compared to the Wisconsin game.

New defensive coordinator John Lovett has his players buying into his system. Also, it seems that the talent level on that side of the ball is better than it was a year ago both through surprise newscomers and more experience for the veterans.

Omar Jacobs has a myriad of impressive statistics so far this season, but he will have to be more poised today.

The Broncos will be able to match Bowling Green’s offensive prowess, so the chances of him having a comfortable lead are slim. He will need to perform at 100 percent for four straight quarters.

If all of that happens there is no way the Falcons will lose. To put it simply, they are the better football team.

This is Bowling Green’s chance to once again shine in the national spotlight.

The Broncos are skilled, but vulnerable.

They are smarting from a blow-out against Georgia and a heartbreaking loss against Oregon State where their defense let them down in the fourth quarter.

The Broncos have a high potent offense, but have yet to find it yet.

The Falcons have to delay that discovery for at least another week.