Partridge shines in Wisconsin game

‘#160;

In some ways it was deja vu all over again.

Last season Bowling Green was playing at a big-time school while a key member of the squad was playing his first game. Last year, it was at Oklahoma and quarterback Omar Jacobs was starting his first game. He ended up throwing 24-41 for 218 yards and two touchdowns… in a loss.

This year it was Corey Partridge.

For a man who admits that he hasn’t really figured out the routine yet he is already playing like a veteran.

The redshirt freshman caught eight passes for 160 yards and one touchdown… in a loss.

For a man who admits that he hasn’t really figured out the routine yet, he is already playing like a veteran.

The big L word prevented Corey from looking back too fondly on the game.

‘Obviously it wasn’t good enough because we didn’t win,’ he said.

Even though he didn’t feel like a veteran, he certainly played like one.

‘The first time coming out, handling the nerves, handling the adversity of the game. But I’d rather come out with a win.’

‘The night before the game I was real nervous.’ Partridge said about some pre-game jitters. ‘I was ready to go during the game, but for some reason the night before, man, I was real nervous.’ Those nerves didn’t follow him to Saturday however as he used his terrific athleticism, strength and quality routes to pick apart the Wisconsin secondary.

‘I thought he played well and ran great routes,’ said coach Gregg Brandon of Partridge’s performance. ‘He’s a tough competitor. I like the way he goes for the ball and competes.’

In time, wins will come especially if the offense keeps producing at the rate they did against Wisconsin, a quality defensive team in the Big 10.

With Charles Sharon and Steve Sanders playing along side him, there are bound to be plenty of open opportunities for each receiver as defenses struggle to adequately cover all of Bowling Green’s talented targets.

‘Chuck and Steve are great receivers and defenses will definitely key in on them. Hopefully, it will open me up and we can spread the ball around,’ said Partridge. ‘And then once they start throwing to me, Chuck and Steve will open back up and we’ll be ready to go.’

So will a seven catch 120 yard performance feel like a disappointment for the young receiver?

‘Depends on if we win or lose. If I win I’ll be happy with it, and if we lose it obviously wasn’t enough.’