SCOUTING THE OPPONENTS

There are a couple of things going against Ball State entering the 2005 season. First is the fact that a team that went just 2-9 last year is attacking its most difficult opening schedule in school history.

Their opponents for the first four games of the ’05 season went a combined 40-8 last season, Included in that mix are games against Bowling Green in week two and an undefeated Auburn team the week after.

They then have to face an improving Boston College team two weeks later.

Another factor is the Cardinals will be missing their star running back and reigning MAC Freshman of the Year Adell Givens. Givens was dismissed from the team for academic reasons.

The good news is that the MAC West is up in the air as teams will be fighting for third place after mainstays Toledo and Northern Illiniois.

Ball State has some continuity and experience on their roster that Central Michigan, Western Michigan and Eastern Michigan lack.

“Winning is a process that takes time,” said third year coach Brady Hoke. “We have made progress in each of the last two seasons, and we are really excited about the 2005 campaign.”

If they manage to squeak through their first six games with more than just one win against Western Michigan to show for it, they have a chance to secure third place in the West and keep building toward more success.

‘#160;