Residence halls get sprucin’

Renovations on the Offenhauer towers and the first part of Founders Hall remodeling were completed this August.

The third phase of Offenhauer’s renovations, which began on May 9, included improvements on the elevator cabs and air conditioning system, as well as painting and patching in the dorm rooms.

Tim Burns, Senior Project Manager, said they also updated the windows.

‘Until now, the dorms only had fixed windows that couldn’t be opened. Now the rooms have operable or slider windows so the students have more control over room temperature,’

Burns said.

Burns said the renovations took place because the towers are over 30 years old and upgrades were needed. This last phase marked the completion of the $3 million renovation project.

‘Over all, everything went pretty smooth and the improvements were successful,’

Burns said.

While only at the beginning of its renovation process, the ground and first floors of Founders Hall look dramatically different.

University student Ryan Garcia said this is his third year living in Founders and it is, by far, the best it’s ever looked.

‘The front lobby looks so much better,’ Garcia said. ‘Because of the new lighting and paint, it looks much more open and welcoming.’

Garcia added that the renovations go beyond being just aesthetically pleasing.

‘The improvements made show the students that the University cares about our living conditions and wants them to up-to-date and modern,’ Garcia said.

According to Project Manager Ryan Miller, the improvements include: new paint on the walls and ceilings, new carpet and better lighting, as well as improvements to the lobby and new wiring to a faster Internet connection. Sprinklers were also added to every suite.

Miller said the fire safety improvements were made in response to an audit that was done to find out what could be enhanced in the dorm.

Even after the renovations this summer, there is more to be done, Miller said.

‘Next summer will be a continuation of the work done this summer on floors two through five, with minor construction in data rooms during Christmas and Spring breaks,’ he said.

Miller added that this summer’s renovations were able to be completed due to a lot of good teamwork from the design team and University personnel.