Comfort key for back to school

As the Bowling Green weather turns cool, it’s time for students to start planning their fall wardrobe.

The main theme for this year’s fall trends is comfort with a twist of personal style, according to University alumnus Erin Norman, owner of Diversity Boutique. Norman spends a lot of time in the fashion districts in Los Angeles where she purchases many of the garments that she sells in her store. It gives her a chance to get a preview of what will be popular.

The bohemian look that was hot in women’s fashion during the summer will continue to be popular for fall. This style allows women to look good but follow the comfort theme.

‘It’s pretty bohemian in L.A., so it [the clothing] is not just sticking to the body,’ she said.

Eryc Perez de Tagle, an apparel merchandising student at the University also stressed that looser clothes are important for fall. He recommends a fitted, elongate t-shirt.

‘It helps hide unwanted curves,’ he said. ‘But remember fitted, not tight.’

While tops that cater to comfort are popular for fall, bottoms are also being designed with comfort in mind.

A popular style of pant hitting Bowling Green this fall are goucho pants. Norman said that goucho pants aren’t new to the fashion world.

‘What is interesting to me is that goucho pants hit huge in L.A. early last year and they are just now hitting Ohio,’ she said. ‘I thought last year that was going to be a big hit, now it’s more popular this year.’

Jean designs are also taking a turn toward comfort.

‘They are making the back end of the jeans higher so they don’t hang out,’ said Norman.

Sequins and embroidery are also popular on jeans this fall, along with vintage styled jeans.

Vintage style jeans are also popular for men.

‘Men are becoming more conscious about how they look, and an easy way to update their outfit is to buy jeans with more modern cuts or interesting or unique finishings and details,’ said Perez de Tagle. ‘Today’s men are willing to spend more money on fashion.’

He recommends Diesel, Rock and Republic, Seven For All Mankind, Paper Denim and Cloth, Ernest Sewn and Citizen of Humanity brands of jeans to update any man’s wardrobe.

Guys should also buy vintage style t-shirts, and use layering to achieve a laid back look.

‘The best thing is that there is all this layering going on, whether it be with necklaces, t-shirts anything,’ said Perez de Tagle. ‘A person can really show their personality.’

Knit hats are also a great way for guys to stay warm while looking up to date.

Norman stressed the importance for girls to invest in a fashionable but inexpensive jacket to wear out at night. That way if it gets lost or stained it won’t be a big loss.

She added that shrugs are a great way to accessorize. Accessories are an important part of any fall wardrobe.

‘Everyone wants to get the special accessories to match their outfits,’ she said.

Big leather belts with rhinestones, chunky beads and necklaces and bronze bags and shoes will help modernize old favorites. Bronze is the new gold for fall. She said that while gold was a hot color for bags and shoes during the summer, bronze is more in.

‘Bronze is big; it looks good on a lot of shades of people,’ she said.

Other colors that are popular this fall are deep red, kelly green and other deep shades of green. If that doesn’t work, Norman said black will always be a classic that works for fall.

Norman encourages students to play around with different colors and styles and keep it comfortable this fall. If all else fails, consult the fashion magazines.