November 30, 2023

• Repairing the Family
    By Jay Grummel Earlier this month I wrote about fond families, however the holidays are made up of many different types of families. Some will be hostile and dysfunctional or some will be loving and understanding. Whatever your family looks like this season, it’s always nice to read about ones other than your own. So, […]
  • Review of The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes
    Let’s time-travel to the year 2012 and the world is raving about none other than Katniss Everdeen. I remember being in elementary school, begging my mother to let me dress up as her for my birthday. Now it’s over ten years later and I’m still just as excited for the new movie as I was […]

Beating Badgers not vital for BG

It is hard not to be excited. It is hard to be on objective analyst.

The Falcon football team is loaded with talent at the skill positions. That talent is epitomized by the face of the organization, Omar Jacobs, and his quest for a MAC Championship, and some national prognosticators thinking Heisman.

Or perhaps the two experienced big-time receivers, Charles Sharon and Steve Sanders. They will be complimented with some young stud receivers on the rise, Marques Parks and Corey Partridge. And no one can forget our backfield of P.J. Pope and B.J. Lane.

It is very easy to get caught up in all of the hype. And then you look at the first game of the schedule. Against Wisconsin. At Camp Randall. That is the moment that my brain is fighting with my heart for supremacy.

Wisconsin is talented. Wisconsin is big. Wisconsin is fast. Wisconsin is tough. Wisconsin is playing with a little extra fire trying to give coach Barry Alvarez the best possible farewell season.

That is not to say Bowling Green isn’t all of those things.

The Falcons are one of the premiere teams in the nation. They have the talent to win, they have an excellent coaching staff and the team is experienced in visiting intimidating buildings (see Purdue, Ohio State and Oklahoma). All the players have seemed extremely focused, not letting the preseason hysteria become a distraction. They are ready to beat the Badgers.

That is what my heart is telling me. However, they might come out of week one with a loss.

That is my brain getting in the way. And if they lose, that is okay. It doesn’t mean the season is a loss, it doesn’t mean they won’t give 100 percent and put up a fight and it doesn’t mean they can’t win the MAC Championship.

It is hard to be reasonable as a Falcon fan, but sometimes you have to be.

A perfect season does not mean going 11-0. A perfect season does not mean that Omar has to do better than 41 touchdowns compared to four interceptions. A perfect season is not going into Wisconsin and pummeling them 42 to zero.

A perfect season means going to the Motor City Bowl and hoisting up a trophy.