Celebrities’ keep campus exciting

Nothing is more entertaining and mindless than Star magazine, which is why I am an avid subscriber.

Watching shows like Taradise and E! True Hollywood Story has only made my interest in horribly tacky celebrity gossip grow by leaps and bounds.

It’s really hard to stay away from, because it’s everywhere.

Even in the bustling metropolis of Bowling Green a new category of people has formed: BG celebrities.

The true definition of any BG celeb is broad, but a pretty understandable concept.

These are people who you see every day who you are starstruck by.

No, this isn’t the skinny guy that works in the Union or the girl that looks like Paris Hilton in your econ class. Granted,these people are fun to see too, but they are not as A-list as the big time.

You talk to your friends about the real celebs in everyday conversation, so you have to make up nicknames to refer to them.

Take ‘The Hybrid’ for example. He’s a University student who blows everyone away as he walks by. He’s a unique mixture of Carl Barat from the Libertines and your ex-boyfriend.

If Carl and the ex had a 1984 lovechild, this guy would be it. Every time he walks by, it feels like a prime photo-op and a meet and greet is about to take place.

The Hybrid is elusive and is maybe seen once a week, if that, which rockets him up to the A-listers.

If The Hybrid lived on your floor and you saw him brushing his teeth everyday, your obsession would not be necessary.

Coming a close second to The Hybrid are The Olsens. I know, I know, this is a celebrity copy cat, but if Mary Kate and Ashley would have never been born, I think I would still call these girls The Olsens.

Last semester, as I would sit alone and anti-social in the shuttle stop outside my dorm The Olsens graced campus with their presence.

These girls were identical twins and as sweet as this sounds already, it gets better.

They shared a room, they shared a hairstyle and they probably shared a cell phone.

In any case, I wanted to be them and could probably recognize them from four football fields away.

Another trait that a BG celeb possesses is their ability to be remembered after only a glimpse.

As you walk through your day, you see thousands of people, but somehow a true BG celeb always stands out.

Even local band members and football players can sometimes make the list.

This is unnecessary because there are so many others to choose from, changing with every new semester.

The best part is, these celebs are different for everyone because you can’t avoid it. It’s impossible to know everyone’s name, and in any group of friends, I would say that there are at least five in weekly conversations.

It’s not even funny to think about, it’s like a phenomenon that amazes me more and more every minute.

And new celebs are being added to the list everyday.

Just yesterday, ‘Teencamper’ was added at the Union and it ruled.

BG celebs make walking to class more exciting, and it makes you scan the crowd ten times more when trying to listen to an otherwise unimportant conversation with your roommate.

So when Taradise is a repeat, and you’re sitting around waiting for the new season of The Bachelor to come on just walk outside, shuffle on down to the Union and start scoping out the hot new celebs for this school year.

By the way, Hybrid, if you’re reading this, you’re even cooler than I thought.

‘#160;

‘#160;

‘#160;

Send comments to Stephanie at [email protected]

‘#160;

‘#160;

‘#160;

‘#160;

‘#160;