Smith no longer secondary among Db’s

BG’s new look secondary will be an even newer-look secondary when the Falcons face off against Wisconsin Saturday at Camp Randall.

The depth chart has been shifted, or in the words of BG Coach Gregg Brandon, ‘it shook itself up.’ The shake-up is thanks, in large part, to the emergence of Antonio Smith.

Smith, 5-foot-10 175 pounds, is a true freshman out of Miami, Fla. who was captained the William Turner Tech Rockets just a few months ago.

Now his first assignment will be to line up across from one of the top teams in one of the premiere conferences in all of college football.

‘Antonio Smith is a true freshman that earned a spot at corner,’ Brandon said. ‘He has great cover skills, a very instinctive player.’

Brandon liked what he saw from Antonio throughout camp as well as the high quality of competition he faced while in high school down in Florida.

‘He’s out of one of the top programs in Florida. He played high school against guys that are going to Florida, Florida State, Miami,’ Brandon said. ‘He knows what speed looks like. He can cover.’

With Smith slotted as the starting cornerback across from senior Jelani Jordan, the team has moved Terrill Mayberry to free safety. The move will probably benefit the team in the long run, Brandon said, but Wisconsin might be another story.

‘I’m not really fired up about (the switch) against Wisconsin.’ The 171-pound Mayberry will be matched up against bigger players throughout the Wisconsin lineup.

The Badgers’ starting tailback, Brian Calhoun is 5-10 and 194 pounds, their starting tight end, Owen Daniels, is 6-3 and 247 pounds and their slot receiver, Jarvis Minton, is 6-1 and 202 pounds.

‘Terrill will throw his body in there,’ Brandon said. ‘I just hope he doesn’t have to do that too many times.’

Other changes from the training camp depth chart to the one scheduled to start against Wisconsin includes another true freshman, Kenny Lewis, being a primary backup at cornerback.

‘Kenny’s a good player,’ Brandon said. ‘He’s also worked his way into the two-deep. It’s nice to see those young kids step it up.’

John Nicholson senior, has moved from a backup cornerback to backup free safety. Sophomore Deaudre Perry has moved up to starting strong safety.

On the offensive side of the ball Jonathan Culp, senior, has risen to the top of the depth chart at center.

‘Jon Culp has emerged at center,’ Brandon said. ‘I’m really excited for Jon because this is his chance to finish his career on a high note. He’ll be a senior leader on that offensive line.’

Also emerging are young receivers Corey Partridge and Marques Parks, who have gone from backups to primary receivers on the depth chart right behind Charles Sharon and Steve Sanders.