Moon plays big but BG still falls

The Bowling Green men’s basketball team may have lost their first conference game of the season, but never has the “moon” been so bright.

BG freshman point guard Perrick “Moon” Robinson, the smallest guy on the court at 5’9,” lit up Anderson Arena with a career-high seven points and five assists in the Falcons 70-61 loss to Western Michigan on Saturday. Robinson also had two steals and grabbed four rebounds while shooting 3 of 4 from the field.

“I thought (Robinson) was really good,” BG head coach Dan Dakich said. “Moon came in the game and gave us a big lift. For a freshman playing in that game …he did a very good job.”

It was a match up of the top two teams in the Mid-American Conference and the first time the Falcons have faced the defending MAC Champion Broncos this season. Robinson said the intensity and atmosphere was something he hadn’t experienced yet this season.

“In none of the games had I had this type of atmosphere,” Robinson said. “So today was a change for me, because I’ve never played in a game of this magnitude.”

Apparently Robinson can handle the pressure.

After BG starting point guard John Floyd picked up two early fouls in the first half, Robinson was needed to play some extended minutes and even started the second half. His intensity on both ends of the floor was evident and he provided the energy needed to ignite the Falcons with his quick passes and explosive drives to the hoop. His lay-up with 15:36 left to go in the game gave the Falcons a 40-39 advantage, which was their only lead of the game.

Robinson also played a total of 19 minutes, which is the longest he’s played in a game so far in his early career.

During the first 12 games of the season, Robinson had only scored 10 points combined on 4 of 14 shooting. In fact, Robinson hadn’t even scored since the Falcons loss at Oakland on December 30. He nearly matched his point total of the season on Saturday.

“I haven’t been doing good this season and I believe that in scouting a lot of teams watch film of me and have seen that I haven’t been doing much,” Robinson said. “It just gave me a good opportunity today to step up and do what I could do to help the team win.”