Local anti Bush protests

Bearing placards criticizing the current administration’s actions both domestic and abroad, Bowling Green citizens gathered at City Park to march in opposition to Thursday’s Inaugural proceedings.

Braving freezing temperatures to make their feelings known, more than a dozen protesters made their way down Main Street. Mere hours after President Bush was sworn in to his second term, Jodi Wyant related her concerns regarding the current administration.. “He should be impeached,” said Wyant. “I don’t know if he made a law saying that he’s not allowed to be impeached, but he lied, badly.”

The war on terror was a clear point of contention among the protesters. Signs pleading for the President to be tried on charges of war crimes were displayed.

“He killed thousands of people because of his lies,” said Wyant.

Single-issue voters were blamed for reelecting the President without fully weighing the consequences. Wyant addressed the contradictions she felt were present in the moral majority’s pro-Bush argument.

“They voted for Bush because he’s against abortion,” Wyant said. “How can he say it’s okay to kill people in other countries but not here?”

Another war, the war on drugs, was also of great concern to the demonstrators. Lia Ricci spoke avidly of the harm which this conflict has inflicted in the United States.

“We’re throwing people in jail for nonviolent drug crimes,” Ricci said. “We’re ruining families and killing people because we won’t give them a syringe that costs a half of a cent to make, and then we have no health insurance for them, either.”