November 30, 2023

• Repairing the Family
    By Jay Grummel Earlier this month I wrote about fond families, however the holidays are made up of many different types of families. Some will be hostile and dysfunctional or some will be loving and understanding. Whatever your family looks like this season, it’s always nice to read about ones other than your own. So, […]
  • Review of The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes
    Let’s time-travel to the year 2012 and the world is raving about none other than Katniss Everdeen. I remember being in elementary school, begging my mother to let me dress up as her for my birthday. Now it’s over ten years later and I’m still just as excited for the new movie as I was […]

Sports Briefs

Jacobs up for Player of the Year award

Omar Jacobs, Bowling Green’s star junior quarterback and the 2004 MAC Offensive Player of the Year, is being considered for the 2005 Maxwell Award. The Maxwell Award is given annually to the player of the year in college football.

Jacobs joins a list of high profile MAC offensive stars such as Marshall’s Randy Moss, Byron Leftwich and Chad Pennington, Miami’s Ben Roethlisberger and BGSU’s own Josh Harris. Jacobs was named first-team All-MAC and Offensive Player of the Year in 2004 after setting records with 45 touchdowns and an NCAA record of a 41:4 touchdown to interception ratio.

He was second in the country in total offense with 358.1 and passing yards with 4,002. Jacobs set a school record last season by throwing 224 consecutive passes without an interception during a seven game span.

Nolan Reimold named All-American

Nolan Reimold became the first Falcon player to be named an All-American by three different outlets when the American Baseball Coaches Association ‘ Rawlings bestowed the honor on him. Reimold had already earned second-team All-American honors by the National collegiate Baseball Writers Association and third-team honors by Baseball America. He became the 11th Falcon player to be named to a postseason All-America team.

Reimold was selected in the second round of the Major League Baseball Amateur draft by the Baltimore Orioles with the 61st pick. He became the highest Falcon position player ever drafted and the fourth highest overall player drafted in BGSU history.

Reimold recently went 2-for-4 in his professional debut on June 21 for the Single-A Aberdeen Ironbirds by hitting a double and a single in his first two at-bats.