What’s the ideal member of the opposite sex?

Sorry guys, but all those cheesy pick-up lines dabbed with a little cockiness do not impress the ladies. And unfortunately girls, coming on a bit strong or starting a conversation with a derogatory comment just won’t hack it with the boys.

Out of 10 women surveyed about their “ideal” BG man, five agree that pick-up lines are pathetic and five believe cockiness is an immense turn-off.

“I think that if a person starts acting like they’re really hot and that I should be thrilled that they’re speaking to me, that is just dumb,” said senior Chandra Niklewski.

Cheesy compliments will not ignite sparks with many women either.

“The last guy that came up to me told me I looked like a sexy librarian – that totally killed it,” said sophomore Samantha Hnizdil, pointing to her stylish specks and laughing.

Also considered a turn-off to senior Gail Reeves is “any insecure statement like, ‘so, do I even have a chance with you?’- telling me how much money they have in the bank, what kind of car they drive,” she said.

However, many of the men had a few things to say about how some women should not initiate conversation with them.

Out of 10 men surveyed about their “ideal” BG women, five of them thought it was a turn-off either when women come on too strong or start off a conversation with a derogatory comment.

“Don’t say anything derogatory, but don’t act like you know me already,” said senior Chris “Topher” Powell.

“Asking for my phone number out of nowhere, that’s kinda weird,” said freshman Rick Koenig, who thinks that might be a bit too aggressive.

The majority of women and men interviewed agreed that a simple introduction of themselves or noticing something about the other person that they may have in common is a sufficient way of initiating conversation.

And while seven out of the 10 men preferred to meet women at a social gathering, such as a party, club or bar, only a few women enjoyed meeting guys at a club, party or bar setting: Most would rather meet a guy in a classroom setting, a random place or through friends.

“The whole party scene isn’t working too well, so not that,” said Hnizdil. “Class might be a good one, I might find a well educated boy there,” she added, smirking.

‘#34;I love meeting people in class because you see how they interact with other people and their maturity level,” said senior Kat McCreary.

Niklewski has met men at various scenes but believes that “the best way to meet people is when they’re friends of friends.”

One thing that both genders did agree on, however, was that a lot of good conversation – getting to know one another – and chemistry is the main thing to look for on a first date.

Eight out of the 10 women want to get to know the guy and two of the women mentioned a desire to see chemistry and possible passion between them.

“I would like to see sparks between me and a guy,” said senior Heidi Habecker.

Also, “flowing conversation and laughter” are key ingredients for a good first date, said junior Lindsey Fratus.

While a few men suggested possible sexual advancements on a first date, more than five of the men interviewed think that having a good time with good conversation and seeing chemistry or sparks is essential.

“I like to have a good time, number one – whatever it is, have fun,” said senior Ross Kollar. “[And to] see something build, whether it is a relationship or just friendship.”

“A lot of conversation and good chemistry,” is significant on a first date with freshman Jeff Nieman.

On the contrary, his friend Koenig would like good conversation as well as some sexual interaction.

“[I would} most likely just get to know her a lot, definitely get a couple of bases hit,” he added.

Three of the guys interviewed were worried about something embarrassing happening to them on a first date and a couple didn’t want the girl starting to talk to another guy or being uninterested in them, while six of the women interviewed were more worried about physically moving too quickly and having bad conversation or little to none at all.

“I don’t want her to ditch me for another guy,” said Koenig, while another freshman was worried about something embarrassing happening.

“Something bad happens, like I drop a pop or something,” said freshman Mark Dreifke.

However, “somebody to not be interested and show it,” is the main fear of junior Jermaine Parker.

‘#160;

Slower going

Many of the women seemed concerned with moving too quickly physically, and even conversationally as well.

“I don’t like unwanted sexual pressure,” said junior Stacey Dancsok, which both McCreary and Habecker agree with.

“I don’t like to be touched too much on the first date,” McCreary said.

And Habecker expressed her disappointment with sexual pressure.

“I don’t want to find out a guy is just trying to get a piece,” she said.

While “lack of conversation and awkwardness” bothers Fratus, “detours into jewelry shops and lots of talk about his mom,” is annoying to senior Rachel Jones.

Senior Stacy Timm thinks that while moving too fast physically is bad, moving too fast conversationally is not good either.

“I don’t want to know someone’s life story on our first date, you have to leave me wanting more,” she added.

The ladies may find it hard to believe, but showing off your pearly whites or good eye contact is what the majority of these men interviewed notice first about you.

“I would say eyes jump out at me,” Kollar said. “What really catches my eye [also] is her complexion, I like dark complexions – I usually give a double take and go from there.”

“I notice their smile,” said Dreifke.

A lot of the women also notice a man’s face and smile first, as well as their body language.

“I’m a people watcher so I notice a lot like how cute they are when they talk and the way they sit says a lot,” McCreary said.

“[I] notice his smile,” added Hnizdil.

While physical characteristics varied across the board with both the men and women, one thing many of the men agreed with is that very skinny women are a turn-off, that they appreciate the curves and nice legs, but also do not like very muscular women or women with bad teeth.

“[I like] the back end, I like the butts, breasts, curves,” said Koenig. “No skinny stick kind of girls.”

Dreifke doesn’t like girls who “are bigger than me, and muscular,” while Nieman focused more on skinniness.

“Extremely skinny girls are kind of unattractive,” he said. “Bad teeth are unattractive.”

Powell expressed his love for “a round posterior and full lips,” and his dislike of a girl with little or no back end.

“[When] the girl has no ass [and] the pockets just kinda fold in,” he said was a turn-off.

Four women agreed that long hair in need of a cut or bad hair is a turn-off, a couple women didn’t care for real short of skinny guys, and two women didn’t care for facial hair either.

“A huge turn-off is hair that needs to be cut,” said junior Jessica Grafton, “It’s hot when guys look presentable.”

“Too much facial hair on a guy,” turns Dancsok off, while “bad hair” in general turns Habecker off.

‘#160;

A study in contradiction

Lack of hygiene, bad skin, and skinny or weak men turn senior Sasha Donelson off and “someone who doesn’t even make an effort to take care of their body,” is unattractive to Reeves.

Five of the women thought that a man that works out and is physically fit is highly attractive, two women also like intense eyes, and two women like a great smile.

“A turn-on is a nice stomach and muscles,” Dancsok said.

“Guys with great eyes and a smile are turn-ons,” Habecker added.

Six of the women interviewed dislike men who are cocky and/or aggressive and three did not like insecure men or men that are rude.

However seven of the women do appreciate a confident man and a humorous guy as well. And six of them like a romantic, sensitive, caring man.

The men interviewed had more variety of responses. Three said that they didn’t like women who are too quiet or shy, while two said they didn’t like a ditsy girl. One didn’t care for the conceited types and another didn’t like shallow females.

However, five of the men like a girl with a sense of humor. Two either like an optimistic girl, a laid back girl, an outgoing and smart girl or a nice girl.

Girls may want to take notice, guys are not really into the skimpy outfits on a first date: In-fact, five of them expressed their dislike of women “showing too much.”

“I do not find those super mini-skirts attractive,” said senior David Kozy.

Dressing “way too slutty, exposing themselves too much,” is unattractive to Dreifke.

“For first impressions, I would not like them to be in real skimpy outfits,” Nieman said and Kollar agreed.

“No extremely short skirts. I don’t like the low cut stuff; basically you have to be covered,” Kollar said. “I’m not saying they can’t wear this or that, but there is a certain extent – unclassy is bad.”

Out of the women interviewed, four said they liked a guy well put together, and/or preppy, two liked a sporty style and two like a casual style.

“I’m not gonna lie, I’m a sucker for the pink polo shirts – but no popped collars!” said Reeves.

So the guys may need to put more time into their dressing style according to these surveys.

“I hate when guys dress in jeans or sweats all the time,” Habecker said.

“I don’t like sloppy dressers or urban type-wear,” Timm added, while Grafton thinks that “clothes that look really worn with holes in them,” is very unattractive.

Niklewski also expressed her dislike for baggy pants.

“I hate those pants on a guy that look like dresses and I hate the pants that hang past the butt,” she added.

Matt Clark contributed to this story.