Bullet Teeth sink into BG’s local music scene

The relationship between successful bands and the community is one of give and take.

And Corey Baum, Mark Janchar, Joel Midden, Mark Peterson and Samantha Wandtke – collectively known as Bullet Teeth – have given their time, energy and musical efforts to local communities for the past three years.

Midden did his best to describe their music.

“Our songs don’t all sound similar enough to be able to put a tag on our body of work as a whole,” Midden said. “We play soul.”

The term “soul” may confuse those who have never heard Bullet Teeth’s music.

After all, how could five white kids create soul music?

Bullet Teeth are known to perform with a credible amount of feeling and violence.

In essence, they play with soul.

“Our original sound is gang style vocals over dissonant guitars,” Janchar said. “Since then we have evolved into experimenting with more pop-sensible sounds, but the odd thing is that we were more popular when we sucked.”

People in specific areas of the country have responded positively to Bullet Teeth’s sound over the years.

Area musician Jeff T. Smith respects them as a local band.

“They are better than most bands from BG, and they seem to pull off the type of music that most people can identify with here,” said Smith. “Bullet Teeth’s sound is original, and there is a lot of variety in their music too.”

Portland, Ore., is another city that has always seen promise in Bullet Teeth.

The band’s first release in June 2004 was recorded in an attic and placed online where it caught the attention of some graphic design students in Portland who decided to start a record label.

The band was flown out west to play two shows in Portland, one in Olympia, Wash. and another show in Seattle.

And after all that hard work, they left with almost $23.

“While in Portland, we were mugged by a gang of what appeared to be crackheads,” Janchar said. “I guess they felt sorry for us because they gave us a small amount of crack.”

Bullet Teeth now look back fondly on their Portland adventures, claiming the experience as was one of the best things that ever happened to them.

Janchar plans to move to Portland in January just after he graduates from the University, but the band does not fear this as a threat.

“We’re remaining a band,” Midden said. “We’ve still got quite a bit of steam left in us, and we’ve been throwing around a lot of ideas including writing some rhythm-oriented experimental pieces with very minimal melody and lots of crunching and hissing.”

For the next few months, Bullet Teeth will continue to play live shows in Bowling Green, Toledo and Cleveland, but their traveling is limited because funds are scarce.

However, success isn’t always measured by money.

“We’re part of a community of people that love us as people and love our music,” Janchar said. “That’s successful to us.”

The band was also successful in recording their 2005 album, “Hope Freaks” in a studio.

“Hope Freaks” will be distributed in record stores throughout Ohio and Oregon.

It will be available at their CD release party on Dec. 15 at Howard’s Club H.

The release party is also a benefit show for the Humane Society. Organizer Gary Setzer has high expectations for the concert.

“I am excited that Bullet Teeth is headlining the show,” Setzer said. “Mark Janchar contacted me about playing the show out of interest for supporting the cause.”

Bullet Teeth are giving away 50 copies of their new album and the others will be sold for $5 a piece.

“I’m certain the CD release and giveaway will increase the number of people in the door,” Setzer said. “Bullet Teeth draw a big crowd anyway, and this will certainly help out the Humane Society.”

It is apparent that Bullet Teeth likes to give back to the community that has embraced them, whether it’s by giving away free music by choice, $23 on accident or their show’s proceeds to a worthy cause.

“We love cats,” Janchar said.

‘#160;