Edwards suffers knee injury vs. Jags

CLEVELAND — Browns rookie wide receiver Braylon Edwards will undergo an MRI exam after suffering a possible season-ending knee injury in the fourth quarter of Sunday’s game against Jacksonville.

Edwards crumbled to the frosty field after bending his knee awkwardly while trying to make a leaping catch.

The first-round draft pick was the last player to leave Cleveland’s locker room following the 20-14 loss to the Jaguars. He walked out on crutches and visited with family members and friends before being helped into an SUV that was pulled down an interior corridor in the stadium to transport him.

“I’m cool,” Edwards said before tossing his crutches into the back seat. “I feel all right.”

Edwards then struggled as he climbed into the front passenger side and departed, waving to TV cameras as he left.

The Browns said Edwards was likely to have an MRI last night and that coach Romeo Crennel will have an update during his news conference today.

Browns wide receiver Antonio Bryant said Edwards “told me he felt a pop.”

On the play he got hurt, Edwards, who caught two touchdown passes in the first half, sprinted down the right side and went up against cornerback Rashean Mathis. However, he landed with his right leg fully extended and collapsed.

In obvious pain, Edwards stayed on the ground and grabbed his right leg as Mathis waved to Cleveland’s bench for assistance.

“I didn’t hear him yell or anything, but I could tell he was hurt,” Mathis said. “I’m saying a prayer for him right now. He’s a great athlete. You never want to see somebody get hurt. I hope he’s OK.”

Edwards was assisted off the field and was able to put a little weight on his leg before being driven to the locker room.

Edwards, the No. 3 overall pick in this year’s draft, had five receptions for 86 yards and the two TD passes from fellow rookie Charlie Frye. In his last three games, Edwards had 15 catches for 218 yards.

The injury adds to an active first season in the NFL for Edwards. He held out of training camp in a contract dispute before reporting. He missed two games in October after undergoing surgery to have an arm infection cleaned out. Edwards also questioned why Browns coach Romeo Crennel wasn’t using him more.