November 30, 2023

• Repairing the Family
    By Jay Grummel Earlier this month I wrote about fond families, however the holidays are made up of many different types of families. Some will be hostile and dysfunctional or some will be loving and understanding. Whatever your family looks like this season, it’s always nice to read about ones other than your own. So, […]
  • Review of The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes
    Let’s time-travel to the year 2012 and the world is raving about none other than Katniss Everdeen. I remember being in elementary school, begging my mother to let me dress up as her for my birthday. Now it’s over ten years later and I’m still just as excited for the new movie as I was […]

Checking Your Vitals

This week, the Pulse checks the vitals of Alyssa Brown – animal lover, early childhood educator, cowgirl, honor student and alleged lunatic.

‘#160;

Name: Alyssa H. Brown

‘#160;

Nickname: Lys

‘#160;

Birthday: Feb. 18, 1985

‘#160;

Sign: Aquarius

‘#160;

Hometown: West Chester, near Cincinnati

‘#160;

Major: Early Childhood Education

‘#160;

Favorite Movie: “The In-Laws” with Michael Douglas

‘#160;

Favorite Cereal: Frosted Flakes

‘#160;

Plans for the holidays: Going home, riding my horse and decorating the house

‘#160;

Why do you want to become a teacher? I just want to make a difference in children’s lives and plus it’d be fun.

‘#160;

Last CD you purchased: Hot Apple Pie, I love country

‘#160;

Favorite Food: Obsession with ice cream – I love “Phish Food” by Ben ‘#38; Jerry’s

‘#160;

Reality TV or sitcoms: Reality TV because I love “Extreme Home Makeover.”

‘#160;

Golden Key International Honor Society? It’s for upper-classmen. It’s a nationwide honors society and it’s just like any other organization. I was initiated this year.

‘#160;

What is the Friends of the Humane Society and how’d you become president? It’s an organization that helps The Humane Society with events. I actually helped start it again and it’s my third year since it came back with 35 members.

‘#160;

Plans for the future? Go back to Cincinnati or wherever I can find a job and ride my horse. I always loved horses and took lessons from seventh grade up until senior year of high school.

‘#160;

Last concert: Rascal Flatts at Riverbend in Cincinnati.

‘#160;

Favorite BG bar: Junction

‘#160;

Why BGSU? My older sister

came here and I went on 10 college visits but I was comfortable here and liked the atmosphere. It wasn’t ghetto.

‘#160;

Favorite board game: Catch Phrase

‘#160;

Words of wisdom: Keep an open mind.

‘#160;

Something interesting: My roommates think I’m crazy because I can’t sit still. I always have to be doing something interactive. I have a horse and am in love with country music. I love animals and am in Big Brothers Big Sisters with a brother in BG.