BG will host Duquesne

The Falcons are off to their best start in 14 years at 5-0 and a victory tonight over Duquesne will give the team a tie for the best start in school history.

The last time the Falcons started 5-0 was in the 1991-92 season which eventually led to the best record in school history – 24-5.

All those potential milestones, however, doesn’t mean the Falcons will be able to cruise to another win. Duquesne is a tough team made up a lot like Bowling Green – versatile shooters all over the floor. That versatility was apparent last season when the two teams met and Duquesne edged out BG 68-63.

Tipoff for tonight’s game at Anderson Arena will be at 7 p.m.

“We’re incredibly proud of our 5-0 start,” BG coach Curt Miller said. “But we’re going to have an incredibly tough time against Duquesne. They’re a very talented team.”

One thing Duquesne had then that the Falcons lacked was a physicality and a toughness. However, Miller thinks this year’s squad has everything they need to best the Dukes.

“They’re one of the most physical teams we’ll play all season,” Miller said. “But I think we’re prepared this year to be just as physical as them from the beginning of the game.”

A key to that physicality will be for their bigs to play just that – big.

That will mean Liz Honegger and Ali Mann will be, as usual, keys to the Falcons’ success. Honegger struggled in the last meeting between the two teams, shooting just 3-of-14. However, Honegger is coming off an MVP performance at the Holiday Inn Classic in her home state of Indiana and is the team’s leading scorer (15.6 ppg) and has made the most 3-point shots on the team.

“I hope Liz will be able to get some redemption from last year,” Miller said.

But, he added, just as important will be solid contributions from bench players Amber Flynn and Jill Lause. Flynn is contributing 7.4 ppg and 5.6 rpg this season. She has been one of the biggest surprises this season and a key to the Falcons hot start

Leading the Dukes attack is guard Aiga Bautre who is leading the team in scoring (16.8 ppg), steals (2.0 spg) and three point field goals. She has made over 54 percent of her three point attempts including a 5-for-5 effort against Akron on Dec. 3.

“She is one of the top players in the entire country,” Miller said. “You can’t try and stop her, but you have to make her work for every shot. If you give her an open shot she’s not going to miss.”