Falcons dominate Duquesne

The women’s basketball team is an elite group of athletes and with last night’s 76-51 throttling of Duquesne they have joined elite company.

The Falcons are now 6-0 and are tied with the best record in franchise history. The team has only reached that plateau two times in the program’s history – in 1974-75 and again in 1988-89.

“I’m not a big in-season record person because when it is all said and done it doesn’t mean a lot,” said coach Curt Miller after the Falcon’s victory. “But, I am proud for these kids that they will always be considered in the record books as tying the best start in program history.

“It’s a great honor to be mentioned in the same breath with some of those outstanding BG teams in the past.”

Although the players were also not trying to get caught up in the record, they were obviously proud of what they had accomplished thus far this season.

“I hope it continues,” said Kate Achter, who contributed 10 points and eight assists on the night.

“The 6-0 start is amazing,” said forward Ali Mann. “We couldn’t ask for anything better.”

And the coach couldn’t ask for much more from his team.

Miller said that he felt like you couldn’t dream up as good a result as the Falcons delivered against a Duquesne team that he said was “a tremendous team that is going to win a lot of games this year.”

The key is the competitive fire that both the team and coach possess.

“I love this team because they hate to lose and they love to compete,” said Miller. “I am a coach who hates to lose. We have a nice combination because we’re all so competitive.

“I love coaching competitive players because they’re not happy when they don’t play well regardless of what the score is.”

Another reason for the hot start is the incredible balance on the Falcons roster. Going into the game they had four players averaging double figures in points. Against Duquesne they had all 11 players play at least 10 minutes and nine players scored five points or more.

“Our team chemistry [is great],” said Mann. “Off the floor we’re great friends, on the floor we’re great friends and we work hard everyday.”

So far this season that hard work has paid off and put the Falcons in the record books.