White wins spring game

While most college spring football games are formatted to match the first team against the second, Bowling Green coach Urban Meyer thought it would be much more competitive if he divided his squad up equally.

Although the teams appeared to be evenly matched, there was one major component in the White team’s 27-7 victory over the Orange squad. The White team came ready to play.

“You could see the enthusiasm and passion in the White team’s eyes in the tunnel,” Meyer said. “They had a look and determination, and that’s what we need everyone to have. I didn’t see that same fire out of the Orange squad. The Orange team, for whatever reason, was not ready to play.”

The White team scored 20 unanswered points, highlighted by senior quarterback Andy Sahm, who completed 13 of 19 passes for 166 yards and two touchdowns. Sahm, who lost his job last season to sophomore Josh Harris, watched his quarterback counterpart struggle at times. While Harris ended the day 11 of 19 with a touchdown strike, it was overshadowed by his three interceptions. Meyer was impressed with Sahm’s performance, but it is too early to tell if it was enough to get his starting job back.

“I still have a lot of work that I got to do,” Sahm said. “My confidence is there, but I have to keep getting better. I was just concentrating today on being a good leader and taking care of the little things.” While Sahm was successful in the air for the White squad, his running backs were giving the Orange defense problems all day. The White team rushed for 138 yards on 32 carries led by freshman B.J. Lane, who carried 18 times for 79 yards. Starting tailback Joe Alls, who carried four times for 18 yards, had the lone rushing touchdown of the day. The Orange team rushed for only a yard on 13 carries.

“B.J. Lane did a great job for us,” Meyer said. “He’s a guy who we are going to play next year, and he proved he can play. He pounded the ball in there.”

The scoring started when senior corner Jerry Wagner intercepted a Harris pass and returned it back to the Orange squad’s three-yard line. Wagner had two interceptions on the day. Alls bulled his way into the end zone on the very next play.

Harris answered back on a 24-yard touchdown strike down the middle to senior receiver Robert Redd. Kicker Nate Fry may have been one of the biggest bright spots, connecting on a 43-yard field goal into the wind. Fry also kicked a 30-yard field goal at the end of the game to end the scoring.

“I’ll be honest; I’ve been here a year and a half and that’s the first time I’ve ever seen that happen in practice or in a scrimmage situation,” Meyer said. “It was nice to see us kick a field goal.” Sahm connected on touchdown passes to Steve Sanders and Todd DiBacco in the second half.

OPENER CHANGED

The Falcons’ season opener at Perry Stadium against Tennessee Tech has been moved to Thursday, Aug. 29, at 7 p.m. The game originally had been scheduled for Saturday, Aug. 31.